We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Day in Innsbruck

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
508 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
1 Day in Innsbruck

We are thinking of stopping in Innsbruck for 1 day - what would the must see in 1 day? Thanks

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,427 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Day in Innsbruck

We spent a sensational day on the Nordkette. The funicular station is right in Innsbruck and connects to 2 cable cars to get you to the top. The views from Hafelekar (top station) are stunning and we had loads of fun toboganning at Seegrube(the middle station).

We were there in December so there was lots of snow but I imagine it is lovely up there at any time of the year.

If this is of interest check out http://www.nordkette.com/en/top/home.html

Have fun!

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
508 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 Day in Innsbruck

That sounds really fun! We are planning on going in November - probably get there near the end of November. Would there be much snow that time of year? Other than tobogganing and skiing, what activities are there?

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,427 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 Day in Innsbruck

I imagine there would be snow late November. We took the funicular + cable car + cable car to get to Hafelekar. We were there early so there were only a handful of people up that high. The ski runs up there are very advanced but we just enjoyed walking around and enjoying the stunning views

Then we took the cable car back to Seegrube. It was all happening there, people everywhere, young, old and everything in between, all having fun in the snow. We saw people skiing, snowboarding and having fun on the toboggans. There were cross country skiers and hikers and even some very happy dogs! You can hire everything right there. There were also people taking skiing and snowbaording lessons. There is a bar and deck chairs and a bustling cheerful resaurant. The atmosphere there was amazing!

We had a glorious sunny day, and had to strip off most of our heavy winter gear.

Make sure you have suitable footwear though for walking through the snow

London
Level Contributor
359 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 Day in Innsbruck

Hi

I will be in Bolzano for few days in early June and I was thinking of a day trip to Innsbruck. Would the tobogan at Seegrube be operating in June ?

How easy it is to get to the Valley station from Innsbruck train station?

Is there any other Austrian Village with a cable car and or a lake along the route from Bolzano to Innsbruck which I can visit.

Thanks

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,427 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 Day in Innsbruck

I don't think there would be any snow sports in June. However, check out the website I mentioned on my earlier post. It does have info on what is available in the summer months. It would still be worth the trip for the views I think, and it only takes about 20mins in total from Innsbruck itself.

Sorry, but I can't help with your other questions.

Los Angeles...
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 Day in Innsbruck

I will be in Innsbruck in April on my way to Zurich. Should I stop there for 1 night or 2 nights and will there still be snow there.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,144 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 Day in Innsbruck

Hi CanadaPrairie,

I agree with the Nordkettenbahn trip. Spectacular. You first take the funicular from Innsbruck's Congress (just outside the pedestrian zone) up to Hungerburg overlooking Innsbruck. Here you can get on the cable car up to the Seegrube station or all the way to the top, the Hafelekar station.

www.nordkette.com/en/top/home.html

We visited Innsbruck the end of November in 2010. I hope you're spending the nigh also. While I'm not usually "crazy about" Innsbruck, the Advent/Christmas Markets and the atmosphere at this time of year is simply incredible. At night it's a Christmas "wonderland".

worldisround.com/articles/362536/index.html

worldisround.com/articles/362561/index.html

Paul

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,595 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 Day in Innsbruck

Try using the Sightseer Hop On, Hop Off Bus.

For the cost of the day ticket (about 8 euro?) you can also use all the other local public buses & trams.

It does a continuous circuit of the major tourist attractions.

USA
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 Day in Innsbruck

There's a lot to see in the city of Innsbruck, too. They have a great Tyrolena Folk Art museum among other sights.

Los Angeles...
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 Day in Innsbruck

Thanks for all the information. I have decided to spend two nights in Innsbruck. Since we are using the train from Munich and going on to Zurich & Lucerne, We can take take later train in the day to Munich and Leave early on the last day. This give us a full day to leisurely enjoy the trip to the Hafelekar and have a lovely lunch either at Seegrube or Hafeleka station.

One question is the day tickets for transportation valid for 24 hours starting with the first trips or from 10 am to 6:00pm of the same days. The later seem to be the HOHO time table for most other city.