We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Innsbruck > Salzburg > Hallstatt > Plitvice

Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Innsbruck > Salzburg > Hallstatt > Plitvice

Hey guys,

Can someone help me as to what will be the best way to take this route. I am traveling in September and I'll enter Austria via Innsbruck. Also I am more of a nature freak, hence I was thinking 1.5 days in Salzburg and 2.5 in Hallstatt. Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance! :)

Edited: 2:48 pm, June 11, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Austria
Austria
Europe
Innsbruck
Innsbruck
Tirol, Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Hallstatt
Hallstatt
Upper Austria, Austria
11 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
24,006 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Innsbruck > Salzburg > Hallstatt > Plitvice

that would not be sensible. 1.5 days in salzburg is not enough and 2.5 days in hallstatt would be pointless!

stay instead on the wolfgangsee area and visit salzburg on a day trip from there, and hallstatt also on a day trip from there. places to stay and for best convenience would be st gilgen or strobl, but you could also consider fuschl and bad ischl

Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Innsbruck > Salzburg > Hallstatt > Plitvice

@Nakagoli

Thank you so much for your advice. I had no idea about these places. Let me check these out. :)

Also, what is the cheapest mode of transport between these areas?

Edited: 3:30 am, June 12, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
24,006 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Innsbruck > Salzburg > Hallstatt > Plitvice

bus. number 150 connects all the places mentioned and stops at bad ischl. there you can take a short train journey to hallstatt.

Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Innsbruck > Salzburg > Hallstatt > Plitvice

I'm confused now.. Let me tell you what my plan till now looked like:

Stuttgart > Innsbruk > Salzburg > Halstatt > Zadar > Plitvice > Split > Dubrovnic

I'm looking for mainly nature and a bit of adventure + history .

I know that's not a lot to go on, but in case you have any suggestions, please do tell. I'm going to check out the places you mentioned in the previous post.

:) Thanks a ton! :)

Mentioned in this post
Stuttgart
Stuttgart
Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Zadar
Zadar
Zadar County, Croatia
Split
Split
Split-Dalmatia County, Croatia
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
24,006 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Innsbruck > Salzburg > Hallstatt > Plitvice

as i said in my earlier post, there is no need for stops at salzburg AND hallstatt. stay on the wolfgangsee just outside salzburg instead and do hallstatt and salzburg city from there . accessible both ways by 150 bus. wolfgangsee is a beautiful scenic area and would suit you as you will be able to relax at the lake in the evenings. regarding zadar etc, you need to go to the relevant fora for info on those

Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Innsbruck > Salzburg > Hallstatt > Plitvice

Thank you so sooo much! :)

Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Innsbruck > Salzburg > Hallstatt > Plitvice

Hey, any idea how much does renting a car cost in St Gilgen or the surrounding area?

Thanks. :)

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
24,006 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Innsbruck > Salzburg > Hallstatt > Plitvice

you can only rent a car in salzburg, either at the airport or at the station. i recommend you use a broker such as autoeurope to provide quotes as different companies will have different rates. but just remember, austria is not normally cheap for car hire

Southern california
Level Contributor
41 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Innsbruck > Salzburg > Hallstatt > Plitvice

Hello, I am considering a similar question, traveling with my daughter, she's 22, I'm 50 something :) We are doing 2 days each in prague, vienna, salzburg and have a few more days to play with, considering train to Innsbruck, Bad Ischl, possibly into Germany or Switzerland. We enjoy hiking, easier mountain biking, and will have probably seen enough museums and palaces. We don't really want to deal with renting a car as we are a little leery of driving but might consider it if really makes the most sense. Would love any suggestions. Daughter needs to end up in Geneva and me in Frankfurt so ending somewhere with an airport is also a consideration. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Innsbruck
Innsbruck
Tirol, Austria
Germany
Germany
Europe
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
24,006 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Innsbruck > Salzburg > Hallstatt > Plitvice

spend more time in the salzburg area. at a minimum you will need 1 day for salzburg altstadt, one day for wolfgangsee, one day for hallstatt area, and one day for berchtesgaden area. for all but the first day you will find a car to be of great benefit, as generally buses seem to run on an hourly basis, so waits are inevitable.

Reply to: Innsbruck > Salzburg > Hallstatt > Plitvice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted