We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fussen to Austria

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
8 posts
Save Topic
Fussen to Austria

I will be traveling with my family from Fussen to Austria in early October. We are interested to see the scenic beauty such as lakes, alps, waterfalls etc by bus or train.

I am planning to stay in Fussen for 2 nights so we could visit Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles.

Then, I am planning to visit Innsbruck for 1 day so we could visit swarovski crystal worlds and Hall.

From there, we would stay in Zell am see for 2 nights and would visit the krimmls falls.

Last year, we had been to Salzburg, Fusch, St. Gilgen and Bad Ischl, so we do not want to visit the seen places again. Since we want to see the nature, please advise us if our plan will meet the expectations or should we add/remove any places. Thanks in advance.

Edited: 9:32 am, August 13, 2014
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,829 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fussen to Austria

Hi there,

Good start! At Zell if time permits also take cable car to see the Kaprun glacier (Kitzsteinhorn I think it is), or with short time the closerby but less impressive Schmittenhohe mountain.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fussen to Austria

Thanks for the suggestion. I have heard that Innsbruck is a large city, so I would not enjoy the nature. Please recommend other alternate towns, how about Mayrhofen?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,829 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fussen to Austria

Hi again,

Well Innsbruck is still quite close to nature! Funicular/cable car from town centre all the way to the Hafelekar mountains with impressive views, tram to Igls suburb with even higher cable cars, etc. etc. But of course it's still a city, Zell brings you closer to nature. Can't comment on Mayrhofen as we haven't stayed there, but Ried-Fiss (west of Innsbruck) and Kirchberg-Kitzbühel (between Innsbruck and Zell) have been bases for impressive nature/walking holidays and also recommended.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

portsmouth
Destination Expert
for Mayrhofen
Level Contributor
558 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fussen to Austria

Mayrhofen is good. you have the main high street full of shops but get off the main street and you have countryside and a bus ride in one of the valleys or a cable car and you have lovely views and nature

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fussen to Austria

Thank you for the suggestion. Do you recommend rental car or bus travel in Austria? In case if I rent a car, we would love to spend few hours in Innsbruck, Wattens and then spend a night in a small town preferably with the farm, alps and lake. Any suggestions please?

Next day, the plan is to move to Zell am see and spend 2 nights. During this time, we would like to see the villages and krimmls falls. I hope that would be possible with an infant of 1 year.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,829 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fussen to Austria

Well the challenge would be using the car in 2 countries; one-way drop off fees (rent in Germany and drop off in Austria) are quite high. Train would work well for the proposed route. Mayrhofen sounds like a useful small town with Alps and lake, Fiss-Ried definitely also qualifies but would be a bit off your route. Yes visiting Krimml waterfalls (lovely narrowgauge train from Zell am See) with a little one is no problem, the paths are well-paved and can stand strollers. Of course for the higher levels of the fall it's probably better to leave the stroller at the entrance and carry the little one, the climb is something like 50 m altitude difference at least and pushing the stroller over that ascend is too much of a burden.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fussen to Austria

Dear Erik,

Thanks again for the wonderful suggestion. I will start my trip from Munich and departure back from there as well. So the car pick up and drop off location will be the same. Since I will travel from Munich - Fussen - Austria, the train might take a longer time. The convenience of the car will be helpful to stay and move according to the choice! Whats your suggestion?

From Zell am see to Krimml falls, does it require a long walk on the alps? Thanks again.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,779 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fussen to Austria

Innsbruck isn't a large city, it has less residents than Salzburg! Be prepared that going from Füssen to Innsbruck using public transport is rather complicated! Southwest of Innsbruck, in the beautiful Stubai Valley, you could visit the Stubai Glacier and its outlook at 3.200m (above sea level).

stubaier-gletscher.com/eng/…Viewing-Platform

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,829 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fussen to Austria

Solely for Krimml: no, the entrance is valley-level (close to the train station and a large car park). Of course the fall has higher levels to see and those need walking on paths with winding S-curves to conquer the altitude difference - not big enough for a cable car or similar ;-)

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Fussen to Austria

I think the car will be very convenient for traveling instead of public transportation. Stubai Glacier seems an excellent point to enjoy the sky resort, thanks for the great advise. So, I am deciding to visit Fussen to Innsbruck, spending few hours in Innsbruck and visiting Stubai Glacier and later days in Zell am see.