We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Austria Eurail Pass 4 day pass vs individual tickets

Hackensack, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Austria Eurail Pass 4 day pass vs individual tickets

I am travelling with family 2 adults and 2 kids (7,6) and staying in Salzburg for 4 nights. We plan to go to Vienna, Halstatt, 1 and half day explore Salzburg and if have time make a half day trip to Innsbruck and finally take a train from Salburg to Venice.

We are debating between getting a 4 day Eurail pass or buying individual tickets for each journey. Since advance tickets are cheap but date and time is fixed. What if we miss a train?

Sal-Hallstatt - will the travel included if we opt for Austria Eurail pass.

What do you suggest - buy 4 day pass or individual tickets.?

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
16,120 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Austria Eurail Pass 4 day pass vs individual tickets

What does a four day pass cost?

Hackensack, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Austria Eurail Pass 4 day pass vs individual tickets

Approx usd 600 for 4 of us.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
23,538 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Austria Eurail Pass 4 day pass vs individual tickets

If you miss the train which you bought a restricted discounted fare for, then you need to buy a new ticket! Between Vienna and Salzburg there is, beside Austrian Federal Railways ÖBB, a relatively new railway operator, named WESTBAHN (www.westbahn.at), whose fares are very reasonable, tickets are sold on board - so full flexibility. Children only pay 1€.

For your day trip to Hallstatt make use of ÖBB's Einfach-Raus-Ticket (www.oebb.at/en) but carefully read the respective terms & conditions. When you continue to Venice you would need a reservation for either the night train or the sector between Villach and Venice which is mainly operated by an ÖBB bus (except for one daily train connection). So you would have to commit yourselves anyway why a ticket purchase in advance should be acceptable. By the way, with discounted tickets of ÖBB, branded "Sparschiene", transport of children is automatically included, so they travel free!

Edited: 1:21 am, June 29, 2014
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
16,120 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Austria Eurail Pass 4 day pass vs individual tickets

So a return trip to Vienna on Westbahn would cost about €50, an Einfachraus trip to Hallstatt €35, a Sparschiene trip to Innsbruck about €56 and a journey to Venice about €116. This makes a total of €257 or US$350. So quite a saving on the pass!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
23,538 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Austria Eurail Pass 4 day pass vs individual tickets

Using Westbahn between Salzburg and Vienna actually costs around 100€ (return fare) for two adults + two children! If you can travel on one of the days permitted shown on Westbahn's website (https:/…), you should buy the respective discounted fare through their website (as these special fares aren't available on the train)!

Hackensack, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Austria Eurail Pass 4 day pass vs individual tickets

Thanks Mickey and Norman.

The prices you quoted are for 2 adults and 2 kids, right..??

Also now which tickets we need to purchase in advance and which ones we can buy when we reach salzburg..??

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,892 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Austria Eurail Pass 4 day pass vs individual tickets

Between Vienna and Salzburg you buy on the train if you use the Westbahn service. Salzburg - Innsbruck costs from €9 each (kids free)

Why don't you go from Innsbruck straight to Venice - there is a direct train at 1327 so you could get a morning train from Salzburg, have a look around (there isn't a great deal to Innsbruck) and then continue. The train goes through the Alps and you arrive in Venice in the late afternoon at 1810 - price from €39

Hackensack, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Austria Eurail Pass 4 day pass vs individual tickets

Thanks Gcek,

I really like that idea.

As I understand - Vienna tickets from Salzburg I can buy on board the Westbahn.

What should I do for Halstatt - buy now or when we get to Salzburg?

Sal-Inns- & Inns - venice - should I buy now as they are SparSchiene fare?

Lastly, is there any place to leave luggage at Innsbruck station for a couple of hours?

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
16,120 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Austria Eurail Pass 4 day pass vs individual tickets

I did mistakenly only quote the one way fare for Vienna! For Hallstatt there is no saving by buying the Einfach Raus in advance.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Austria Eurail Pass 4 day pass vs individual tickets

And the Einfach Raus ticket is no good for a day trip on a working day, (You get to Hallstatt too late)