We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Lake to visit?

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
615 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Which Lake to visit?

Hello there,

We will be in Salzburg for three nights in July - we thought we might do one day trip and we're finding it difficult to decide between Prien am Chiemsee or go to St. Gilgen.

All the places online look really beautiful so would welcome some expert advice please.

The temperatures at the moment look pretty high in Salzburg - wondered if it might be cooler out at the Lakes.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Lake to visit?

If you want Mountains and Lakes got to be St Gilgen.

Quick 40 minutes on the bus.

Edited: 11:51 am, June 06, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,030 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Lake to visit?

chiemsee has a palace on its island, but apart from that, there is little in the way of scenery around. land is basically flat.

so the obvious choice has to be wolfgangsee. but if you are going there by bus, hop off at fuschl. lovely lake there with a small village. you can then hop on the bus again to st gilgen, and tour the wolfgangsee from there by ferry, visiting st wolfgang (of white horse inn fame) and its cog railway. continue on the ferry to strobl, with its nice promenade, and back to st gilgen by ferry. a nice little stop off , if you ave the time, is to hop off the ferry at furberg , just before st gilgen on the way back, have a strudel here and walk back along the lake to st gilgen.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
7,130 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Lake to visit?

Fully indorse nakagoli's recommendation.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
615 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Lake to visit?

Thanks very much for the replies. So it will be bus to St. Gilgen and maybe onto a few other places around lake Wolfgansee.

I did look at Google to see how far it would be to walk from St. Gilgen to Wolfgang but it wanted to take us on the ferry. Anyone know if there is a walking trail and how far this would be please? I thought it would be nice to walk one way at least or walk part ways. I guess it depends on how hot it might be also.

If we wanted to hop on and off the bus as you suggest Nakagoli then what sort of bus ticket would you suggest we buy?

Thanks again

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,030 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Lake to visit?

how far do you want to walk? there is a steepish trail between st wolfgang and st gilgen.it is a hard slog, and i havent managed it yet! but i do it the other way around. i go from st wolfgang to strobl, via abersee to st gilgen. but the last bit from abesee to st gilgen is not too interesting. the lake is 12 kms long. but you can use the ferry to vary your walks. you can go to or go back from strobl or gschwendt (abersee). of the walks around the lake, i find the nicest part is from strobl to abersee. takes about an hour. there is also a nice 30 min walk from furberg to st gilgen. furberg is the last stop before st gilgen , on the ferry

bus around the lake is a bit more complicated. you have to take the 150 to strobl and change to the 546 to st wolfgang. if going that way, when you get the bus, just give your final destination (st wolfgang) and you can ho ho.

one other way to get between st gilgen and st wolfgang , or vice versa, is to get a small ferry that goes between the hnarrowest part of the lake. it goes from the campsite at abersee, to a point close to the schafberg cog railway in st wolfgang. so, you could walk from st gilgen to the campsite (50-60 mins) and then ferry across the lake

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
615 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Lake to visit?

Sounds interesting Nakagoli - don't fancy any hard slogs - you know us Welsh we're used to hills and mountains but not in the temperatures currently in the Salzburg area. The walk from St. Gilgen to the campsite and then the small ferry really appeals.

Have read that both St. Gilgen and St. Wolfgang are really pretty villages - how much time do you reckon we should spend in both to do them justice. Can't overnight in any of them as we have already booked our hotel in Salzburg.

Great to have your input - thanks very much.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,030 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Lake to visit?

even though st gilgen is the largest on the lake, the centre is quite small. there are a couple of small museums,one of them being a mozart museum, and the other being a traditional museum. other than that, it is a case of looking around the few shops and enjoying the scenery. hard to say how long you should spend there, but if not going up in the gondola lift, probably 90 mins will cover you. st wolfgang has more shops etc and a nice church. it also has the "white horse inn" of film fame (probably why it is a touristy village) but you can walk alongside the lake towards the base of the cog railway. again, probably the same time scale for a visit. ut is really depends on what you want to do.

by the way, if you google "webcam schafberg" you can access a 360o camera. this looks over the lake first of all, with st gilgen being in the right hand corner. you cannot quite see where abersee is, nor st wolfgang. but it gives you an idea of the lake layout.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Lake to visit?

Everywhere in the Salzkammergut is Touristy.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,030 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Lake to visit?

yes, i know. it is due to its beauty. however some villages and towns are more touristy than others, such as st wolfgang, bad ischl.............

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Lake to visit?

Disagree.

When I see al the SOM tour coaches depositing people in St Gilgen it's just as touristy as St Wolfgang.

There is no difference between the two.

And comparing with Bad Ischl is like comparing apples with pears. Bad Ischl is a Town.