We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with our Salzburg Daytrips..

Port Melbourne...
Level Contributor
46 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Help with our Salzburg Daytrips..

We are going to Salzburg for five to six days.

During this time I am wanting to make two day trips... one to see Hallstatt and one to Eagles nest.

Reading the forums it looks like my trip to Hallstatt would be a full day.

Looking at Eagles nest it looks like it could be a half a day or maybe more.

Is someone able to suggest some routes? I hadn't included any salt mines or ice caves on my day to Hallstatt as I thought I would need the complete day looking at St Wolfgang, Bad Ischl and Hallstat.

I thought perhaps I could include the salt mines at Bad Reichenhall on my day to Eagles Nest to make it a full day? or travel further down to werfren and do the ice caves here (is this too much).

WE are a family of five two adults and three children (looking to hire a car). We are travelling early June.

Thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
Hallstatt
Hallstatt
Upper Austria, Austria
St. Wolfgang
St. Wolfgang
Upper Austria, Austria
Vienna
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with our Salzburg Daytrips..

Consider going up to Untersberg mountain top with cable car, Schloss Hellbrunn water games or Koenigssee..

Mentioned in this post
Untersberg
Untersberg
1,657 Reviews
Salzburg, Austria
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
23,072 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with our Salzburg Daytrips..

hallstatt is quite small. I would tend to use one day there, visiting the salt mine, ice caves and five fingers viewing platform. with a possible visit to nearby gosausee.

another day could be spent touring the wolfgangsee, bad ischl area. there is a cog railway with stunning views in st wolfgang, a gondola lift in st gilgen, lake ferry....plus Kaiser villa in bad ischl...all meriting some time

really , there is so much in the Salzburg area, you will wish that you were spending more time there!

enjoy

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
12,717 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with our Salzburg Daytrips..

My trip report will hopefully give you day trips suggestions:-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g190441-i391-k70…

Have a fantastic time!

Troy, New York
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with our Salzburg Daytrips..

Loads of options : Halstatt and the caves and Five fingers in a day, another place in Lake District(Gosausee is my favorite), Munich,Werfen, Berchtesgaden..I too stayed for 4 days, this is trip report: …wordpress.com/my-travels-2/…

Mentioned in this post
Lake District
Lake District
Cumbria, UK
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
328 posts
1,097 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with our Salzburg Daytrips..

If you are intending on visiting Bad Reichenhall on the same day as Berchtesgaden, it's great value to use the train, getting what's called a "BLB-TagesTicket plus Salzburg" for €9 per person. This works as a day ticket, allowing unlimited travel on the route between Salzburg and Berchtesgaden, getting on and off as much as you like. It's available from the Salzburger Lokalbahn (SLB) desk on the lower level of Salzburg station and is valid from 9am Mon-Fri and all day at the weekend. Children up to the age of 14 travel free with this ticket.

6. Re: Help with our Salzburg Daytrips..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 02, 2015