We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage lockers/storage facilities for more than 24 hours

Davao City...
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage lockers/storage facilities for more than 24 hours

Hi, tripadvisor fellow travelers! :). I am currently planning our itinerary for a trip ( husband, myself, kids aged 10 and 6) to Bavaria and Austria. After 3 nights in Salzburg, we would like to stay for a night or two in Hallstatt, before returning to Salzburg for our onward journey to Innsbruck. From what I understand the train trip from Salzburg to Hallstatt will entail a couple of quick changes plus a ferry ride. We would very much like to make this particular portion of our extended trip with less luggage, and we are hoping to leave our bigger luggage in Salzburg.

Upon checking with the OEBB website and past forum posts, I find that the luggage options only indicate 24 hours. Has anybody ever tried leaving luggage at the train station for more than 24 Hours? I found some answers to a similar question in this forum but these were posted in 2009, and more current information would probably be best.

Thank you!

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,306 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage lockers/storage facilities for more than 24 hours

I think they do get opened and emptied after 24 hours. What about the hotel you are staying at in Salzburg. Sometimes they offer luggage storage maybe for a small fee.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage lockers/storage facilities for more than 24 hours

Bit sad, but I was reading the rules on the new lockers last time I was in the station waiting for a train.

You get 24 hours after which your locker will not open. You have to go to the desk pay and get a release ticket. After 48 hours bags are removed and stored. You will be charged a fee to get your luggage back.

Salzburg to Hallstatt.

Have you considered getting the 150 Bus to Bad Ischl. Then short walk to the train to Hallstatt. Then ferry to the village.

If you have loads of luggage the bus part is no issue you just store your luggage in the compartments under the bus. The loading of big luggage onto the train can be difficult if they are heavy. If you go all the way on the Train you will have to load your luggage twice. So I can understand your dilemma and wanting to travel light.

I would start maybe with Normans suggestion of seeing if your Hotel in Salzburg will store bags.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,945 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage lockers/storage facilities for more than 24 hours

Another option would be to get the 150 bus to Bad Ischl. Book into a small hotel or hostel there rather than Hallstatt (cheaper I susspect). Luggage then taken care of you could spend the two days using Bad Ischl as your base to do Hallstatt and the area unencumbered.

Edited: 4:35 am, March 03, 2014
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,474 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage lockers/storage facilities for more than 24 hours

I would also ask the hotel you will be staying at in Salzburg whether they would be willing to keep your bags. Alternatively, you could go to Salzburg Airport and leave the bags there.

Davao City...
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage lockers/storage facilities for more than 24 hours

Hi Norman,

Thank you for your suggestion regarding asking our Salzburg hotel about the option of storing luggage for us. I will ask. We did this before in Vietnam for an overnight Halong Bay Cruise, as it was quite commonly done, i just didn't consider it for this case, also? :)

Davao City...
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage lockers/storage facilities for more than 24 hours

Hi Staff_Austria,

Thank you for sharing, this is exactly the information I was looking for and couldn't find. Now, I can concentrate on looking for other options. On our trip to Bellagio from Milan, my husband had to load and unload our 2 big pieces of luggage in a hurry during a quick stop at the small unmanned Varenna train station ( on a middle track, bo less ;). ) by himself while I saw to our two young kids. It's an experience he would rather not repeat. LOL

Thank you also for mentioning the bus to Bad Ischl. We were really set on staying in Hallstatt instead of just doing a day trip and it's nice to know we have this alternative.

Davao City...
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luggage lockers/storage facilities for more than 24 hours

Hi roefamilyUk,

Thank you for your reply. I do not know anything yet about Bad Ischl, something that's about to change! :). We would really like to stay at least a night by the lake in Hallstatt, though of course, we will consider bad Ischl as a base instead if it seems more manageable.

Davao City...
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luggage lockers/storage facilities for more than 24 hours

hi Mikey,

Hmmm, I think the Salzburg hotel luggage storage option would be better for us as we won't be going to the Salzburg airport at any point during our trip. From Hallstatt, we hope to go to Innsbruck via Salzburg and onwards flying out of Milan.

Thank you! :)

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,945 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luggage lockers/storage facilities for more than 24 hours

Hi,

The train journey coupled with the boat crossing to Hallstatt is a wonderful experience and the train ride is only 20 mins. The scenery is just gorgeous and it is by far the most scenic way to arrive in Hallstatt. We do it often and cycle back along the lake and river to Bad Ischl. Bikes can be hired at the Tourist Info office.

Davao City...
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Luggage lockers/storage facilities for more than 24 hours

Hi RoefamilyUk,

We have just read wonderful things about the bus route from Salzburg to Bad Ischl and are thinking that even if we end up leaving some of our luggage in Salzburg, we would still take this route to Hallstatt instead of taking the train straight from Salzburg to the Hallstatt station! :)

Thank you again posters, for your help. We would never have known about Bad Ischl and the scenic bus ride without your advice. :)