We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salzburg to Hallein, bike and back ?

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
35 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Salzburg to Hallein, bike and back ?

Is is reasonable to bike to Hallein from Salzburg, see the sights, and bike back in one day ? We'll be going in July. Two adults and two boys 8 and 14, 8 yo can be on tandem, bike. Thanks in advance for your help.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,180 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salzburg to Hallein, bike and back ?

You can check the distance on your own using maps.google.com ! I personally would not do that and use the time for the visitation of other sights/areas, for instance, the giant ice cave accessible from Werfen (which could be combined with Hallein).

Vienna
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Salzburg to Hallein, bike and back ?

I would say it is generally possible, if you and your kids enjoy the activity of biking (and the 8 year old is on a tandem) and don't only see it as a means of transportation. If you use the cycle paths it is about 18 km one way.

However, to get from Hallein to the salt mines you will have to go up a hill, which might be quite strenuous. It would probably be better to take the bus from the train station instead.

After all, maybe for the kids it might be more enjoyable if you would go by public transportation and spend more time at the attractions.

If you would like to go biking, you could do so in the beautiful area of the Salzkammergut instead, for example around lake Fuschl.

Salzburg, Austria
Level Contributor
14 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salzburg to Hallein, bike and back ?

I'd say it is worth it .If you use the bike trails on the river there are no cars.There are benches on the way if you want to take a break.Only beach in town is along the way at Königsseeache.The water is always cool.

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
35 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salzburg to Hallein, bike and back ?

Thank you for all your advice. We do like biking so it would be not just a means of transport. I did check the distance, for about 18 km it would not take very long, I think, the trail looks pretty flat. I will look into the Lake Fuschl idea also, thanks. And the ice cave, that sounds interesting as well.

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
35 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salzburg to Hallein, bike and back ?

Unfortunately we had to cancel the biking part due to rainy weather. We took the train to Hallein. But from what I saw the bike ride is quite doable and should be a pleasant ride in good weather.

6. Re: Salzburg to Hallein, bike and back ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 20, 2015