We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Vienna -salzburg-innsbruck -zurich by train

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Vienna -salzburg-innsbruck -zurich by train

Hi,

Me and my wife wish to travel from vienna to zurich by train with 2 breaks: salzburg and Innsbruck.

Travel plan:

1.leaving Vienna on 10/3/14 morning, one day spend at salzburg. Leave salzburg on 11th evening,

2. Sleep at innsbruck on 11th night, spend 12th day at innsbruck.

3. reach Zurich on 13th morning.

My questions:

1. can we buy one through journey ticket with 2 breaks as mentioned in my itinerary above? if yes ..how and which train network?

or should we buy separate tickets for each leg?

2. Do you recommend skipping one of the breaks? If yes: which is better place to visit-Salzburg or Innsbruck?

3. Does international student card help in getting train journey discounts?

seeking early reply. We are first time visitors and wish to book tickets as early as possible..

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,562 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Vienna -salzburg-innsbruck -zurich by train

1. No, Austrian Federal Railways OEBB does not offer breaks similar to that offered by Deutsche Bahn.

Best (in my opinion), would be to take the direct Railjet train from Salzburg to Zurich (5 hours 24 minutes, passing through the beautiful Arlberg pass

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arlberg

Price for booking 90 days ahead € 49

2. Again, my personal opinion, Salzburg offers more things than Innsbruck

Vienna to Salzburg everyday price is € 25 using Westbahn

https://westbahn.at/

3. NO

If you decide to go to Innsbruck, booking early Innsbruck to Zurich as cheap as € 19 using Railjet train

(book with www.oebb.at) direct

Edited: 6:04 pm, February 09, 2014
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Vienna -salzburg-innsbruck -zurich by train

Hi Hidiwi56a.

Thanks for the very useful information.

Since we have very little time salzburg and Innsbruck, kindly advise what are most recommended thighs to do in these places. Kindly note we are travelling in mid of the March.

Have a lovely day!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,779 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Vienna -salzburg-innsbruck -zurich by train

ÖBB used to allow interruptions with tickets subject to standard fare (and covering a distance of more than 100km). They seem to have stopped that feature with their domestic tickets. But with international tickets this still seems to be available. So you could buy a regular ticket covering Vienna to Zurich AT THE STATION in Vienna and just interrupt in Salzburg and Innsbruck. In order to be reassured I would e-mail them!

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
421 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Vienna -salzburg-innsbruck -zurich by train

Ticket interruption is still possible at ÖBB with domestic and international standard fare tickets within the period of validity.

International tickets are valid 15 days, whereas domestic tickets are only valid 2 days.

However, if you plan your trip in advance it will be cheaper to buy saver-tickets for each section.

If you want to travel flexible, then buy one standard fare ticket from Vienna to Zurich, but in this case there is no reason to buy it in advance.

BTW, if you are under 26, you might consider buying a ÖBB-Vorteilscard. It's a discount card for rail travel and costs 19 EUR if you're under 26. It is valid 1 year and gives up to 50% discount within Austria and 25% for the foreign part of international tickets (no discount for saver tickets).

I'm quite sure it will pay off, if you dont use saver tickets. Also consider that the international 25%-discount also applies for many other international where Austria isn't involved at all, eg from Switzerland to Germany.

5. Re: Travel from Vienna -salzburg-innsbruck -zurich by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 12, 2015