We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ice cave trip

New Delhi, India
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ice cave trip

Hi I'm planning to go to Salzburg in March . Is it worth going and how much time will it take. Secondary hw much time one should spent in this town. N is Innsbruck worth a visit from here. Please also suggest any nearby attractions in Salzburg .

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,200 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ice cave trip

Salzburg deserves a full day, the ice caves are closed until May, 1st - 2014. Innsbruck is a nice place and easily feasible from Salzburg. It is recommendable to buy train tickets in advance as tickets purchased just before departure are much more expensive. Check here: www.oebb.at/en

Additionally or alternatively you could visit the Salzkammergut District, also named Austrian Lake District, where you find nice towns, clear lakes and mountains. Use the search function of the forum in order to find out more!

New Delhi, India
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ice cave trip

Hey thanks. I had put ice caves as my one destination. Nw wl go to Innsbruck then.

Would u pls suggest about any sightseeing tour in Salzburg. Or one should go on their own to see the town.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
18,641 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ice cave trip

Salzburg. the old town would probably need a day to thoroughly explore. you can also take a "sond of music" trip which will show you the main sites in the film, and will also include a visit to hallstatt. (very close to the closed ice caves). this tour gives you a glimpse of the salzkammergut area, but you could also take a day to explore the salzkammergut by bus, visiting st wolfgang, st gilgen and bad ischl. well worth the trip.

Innsbruck is a small city and there would be far less to see there. one day at the max.

New Delhi, India
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ice cave trip

Thanks 4 d the suggestion

1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Ice cave trip

I plan to have a day visit tour to Salzburg in month of May . Intend to have city tour , lake and mountains tour and also ice cave . May b stay a day in Salzburg and the next day travel to Vienna to meet tour director for Eastern Europe tour and a welcome dinner is provide .How many hrs from Vienna to Salzburg ? What is your best advice and which local tour group can give us best view of Salzburg and ice caves.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
18,641 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ice cave trip

how are you travelling? if by bus or train, allow 3 hours from vienna to salzburg. but as for what you want to do? you wont do all that on a day tour!

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ice cave trip

Which ice cave? Dachstein or Werfen?

You will not do all that in a day trip. At best you could do Salzburg old town only. No lakes and no ice caves.

Kind Regards

(Staff) & [Flopsy Mopsy]

Singapore, Singapore
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ice cave trip

Hi! My friend and I are planning a day tour from Salzburg to Five Fingers/Hallstatt/St Gilgen+StWolfgang Ferry ride in the same day, then last bus/transport back to Salzburg. What would be the best way to go around this, if really possible, best order?

We know it is very rush but hoping to see all these in a day, we're willing to take 6am transport and 8/9pm transport back to Salz ! Note that we will do this on a Sunday in May and understand the first bus 150 is later than usual, only starts at 8.15am! Appreciate some help in planning. Thank you!

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ice cave trip

Possible to do all that if you had a car. If using public transport I would not consider trying to do all that in one day.

Salzburg - Hallstatt Area - Salzburg = 5 hours of buses/trains,

Hallstatt = Lets say one hour to see the village. = 1

5 Fingers including Ice Cave???? = 5 hours

Bus to St Wolfgang, time in St Wolfgang and boat to St Gilgen = 3 hours.

So we are up to 14 hours at least.

I would either get a hire car and set off very early. Or use public transport and reduce what you are thinking of doing. Note if you have a car boat trips will take longer as you need to get back to where you parked your car.

Or better still stay in the area for at least one night. Say in Bad Ischl. Do Hallstatt as a day trip from Bad Ischl. Then visit Lake Wolfgang on the way back to Salzburg.

Singapore, Singapore
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ice cave trip

Thanks so much for the prompt reply and suggestions!

In that case I think we will probably skip the ice caves and 5 fingers, sadly. We will take the 6am train to Hallstatt, the explore the village and head down to St Wolfgang, do the Schafbergbahn Railway train ride to the top of the mountain and then ferry down to St Gilgen for the last bus back to Salzburg. Does this sound more doable?

Thanks again!