We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Week in Salzburg Christmas 2013 - 21st to 28th

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
One Week in Salzburg Christmas 2013 - 21st to 28th

Hi All,

Myself and my boyfriend are spending a week in Salzburg for Christmas and would like to know the following:

1. Can we get to the Eagles Nest at this time of year?

2. Would you recommend Panorama Tours for the sound of music ?

(cheesy, but has to be done) ha ha :)

3. Is it easy to use public buss's trains for our own tailor made day trips ?

4. we would like to do a day skiing...is flachen.ie the best operators

any advice for the christmas / advent period would be great. we are hoping to go to 11:30pm mass in the Dom on dec 24th, (hear some fabulous music) ! and on the night we arrive the demon (perchten) parade is in town. is there anything besides the lovely christmas markets that we should be sure to do/see - food wise, we are staying in an apartment in Ursulineplatz, and hope to cook a lot. but the odd evening in a resturant would be lovely.

thanks.

una.

any

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: One Week in Salzburg Christmas 2013 - 21st to 28th

and one more question: - is it easy for us to use public transport to get from airport to ursulinenplatz ?

thanks again!

una. :)

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,412 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Week in Salzburg Christmas 2013 - 21st to 28th

1 eagles nest is closed during winter.

2 panorama are as good as any other tour. just make sure that you get a tour that includes hallstatt. a beautiful village, not to be missed, even if it is cold!

3 public transport is good. and idea would be to get the 150 bus to st gilgen, and take ferry across to st wolfgang, visiting advent markets in both. only open on fri, sat and sun, so sun 21 would be the day for you.

4 I have never heard of falchen.ie

food. stock up on food when you arrive as supermarkets are generally closed on sundays. and they will close early on 24th until 27th

not sure where ursuline platz is, but the number 2 trolley bus will bring you from airport to main station, where all other buses go from.

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Week in Salzburg Christmas 2013 - 21st to 28th

Ursulinenplatz is a good location tucked up against the Monchsberg hill, very short walk to all the sights. There's a very controversial sculpture of Mozart in Ursulinen, you can't miss it :-)

Don't miss a trip up to the fortress. The funicular railway gets you up there in 30 seconds and the views are great.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: One Week in Salzburg Christmas 2013 - 21st to 28th

thanks for the replys. pity we will not be able to make it to the Eagle's Nest...although not sure if it is just a tourist trap or not.

the skiing company i came across was: 'Flachau' - they do wintersports day trips - we can get the bus from mirrabelleplatz

We are really looking forward to seeing all the sights. will try to experience 'real' Salzburg during the advent/christmas period. there is 11:30 mass in the Dom on th 24th... i bet the music will be spectacular, really special. The Christmas markets will be amazing also.

and of course the demon festival 'pechten' (excuse my spelling) is on the night we arrive the 21st.

I have done a good bit of googling and have a fairly good idea about the city sights.

just one more thing? - i would love to hire a bike for the duration of our stay. is that expensive?

thanks

Una

I

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,412 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Week in Salzburg Christmas 2013 - 21st to 28th

eagles nest is not really top of the locals interest, as they do not want a shrine. also, there is absolutely no sign of the historical connections. nevertheless, it is a good day trip, but crowded in summer.

flachau is a region of Austria and there could well be a marketing in Austria, for skiing in the area. it could be well worth trying.

enjoy your visit.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Week in Salzburg Christmas 2013 - 21st to 28th

Try the Augusteiner Keller for some good food and beer. We just got back from there and it was a fun night out.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,405 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One Week in Salzburg Christmas 2013 - 21st to 28th

My recent trip report will hopefully answer lots of your questions:-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g190441-i391-k70…

Enjoy!

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
424 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One Week in Salzburg Christmas 2013 - 21st to 28th

Hi princessuna--how was your trip??? We are thinking of spending Christmas in Salzburg and Iam just starting to look!!!!!!!!!

We spent the holidays in Vienna 2 yrs ago and loved it.

Thanks

PJ

9. Re: One Week in Salzburg Christmas 2013 - 21st to 28th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 12, 2015