We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eleventh Hour Concerns

London, United...
Level Contributor
262 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Eleventh Hour Concerns

Guys,

We were scouring hotel ratings and flights and stuff on TA and thought I'd pause to investigate how to get to Kitz from Salzburg, to my dismay it sounded like it was a bit of a mission. I then sort of had a bit of a reality check and thought - I want to use Salzburg as a base to get to alpine regions, is this going to be a logistical nightmare without a private car or very expensive transfers?

I looked at breaks in Kitz, it seems this doesn't really exist yet, perhaps in a couple of weeks time or so.

I guess we're trying to create that 'chocolate box scene' of alpine places, but with the difficulty it's too early in the year (but we don't have much choice on that front) really.

I'm starting to wonder if our decision to use Salzburg as a base is such a sensible one now, can anyone guide me in this regard? - I see for example it would take 2.5 hours to get to Kitz from Salzburg, however, is that a well spent 2.5 hours on a lovely train (a-la Michael Portilo style!) taking in some amazing scenery and chilling or is that 2.5 hours of boredom for EUR 50?!

I searched for Salzburg vs Innsbrook last night and that made me stick to Salzburg, however, I'm starting to wonder if that was so wise now. Arrrrrrrrgh curse our forced timing basically.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Eleventh Hour Concerns

ab 01.05. bis 27.10.2013 F nur an schulfreien Tagen S nur an Schultagen"

from 01.05. to 27.10.2013 F only during school holidays S only on school days "

Assume that came from the bottom of the bus timetable.

There is usually a letter code against the bus and you check at the bottom.

The 150 runs pretty much every hour except Sundays and Bank Holidays when it drops to 2 hours.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,671 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Eleventh Hour Concerns

I think in a city as tourist oriented as Salzburg then most taxi drivers will have some English, but have a print out handy.

You proposed hotel is pretty close to the station so you possibly just take the airport bus to there and walk.

Look further than the BA site for hotels - my usual hotel booking site in that part of the world is hotels.de. The one time I used BA to add a hotel I had to then change my flight but adding the hotel turned it in to a holiday package so the flights couldn't be changed on line, only by 'phone to a Monday to Friday only number.

London, United...
Level Contributor
262 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Eleventh Hour Concerns

Hey,

Yes, that did come from the bottom of the timetable, okay cool that's good to know. I'm pretty sure we'll be staying at that Achat hotel I linked to previously. It seems it's fairly well connected to get to other places but perhaps not so for Salzburg its self. Are there busses which would go from there to 'where the action is' which are pretty frequent? - One of our party is waiting for a knee replacement so has to stop frequently so a 20min walk might end up taking more like an hour. If there was a hop on hop off bus all the time that would be grand, if not we'll have to plan a bit better I guess.

Some other questions I've got which might seem lame but I'll ask away anyway...

1. Does Salzbug have chip and pin for cash cards? (As opposed to using a signature?

2. Do people reckon a Gluten intolleance will be widely recognised or would this be tricky to explain?

3. Will most taxi drivers speak English or is that unlikely?

4. Should we totally discount the idea of going to Kitzbhul? - Is it a step too far?

Edit: I forgot one quite lame question...

5. Are bars/restaurants etc in Salzburg fairly relaxed in their dress code or would we need to make sure we wern't too scruffy?- I don't have a feel for whether some smart clothes would be appropriate or not! We're not looking to dine at Michelan stared places or anything!

Thanks again for the replies guys, it just seems we need to consider so many little bits and pieces some wouldn't have to concern themselves with :/ You replies are very helpful and much appreciated :)

Edited: 5:54 am, November 20, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
21,571 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Eleventh Hour Concerns

for somewhere above the clouds, go to st gilgen (40 mins on 150 bus) . take the ferry from there to wolfgang schafberg (ferry operates from 21 nov, and take the cog railway up the schafberg. there is a restaurant at the top.

have a look at "webcam schafberg" for stunning 360o live view (if its not cloudy!)

London, United...
Level Contributor
262 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Eleventh Hour Concerns

That cog railway looks really nice, I'm having a hard time seeing from their website, but it looks like it might only be in operation Friday-Sunday at the time I'm going... Irritatingly we're due to arrive on a Sunday afternoon and depart on a Friday morning at the moment!

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Eleventh Hour Concerns

1. Does Salzbug have chip and pin for cash cards? (As opposed to using a signature?

Yes, either way it's not an issue. Sign if asked, pin if asked.

2. Do people reckon a Gluten intolerance will be widely recognised or would this be tricky to explain?

Not too bad but best to carry a card with the allergy in German.

Good café to eat in is

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g190441-…

3. Will most taxi drivers speak English or is that unlikely?

Yes they speak English and are very reliable. It does help if you have where you want to go written down.

5. Are bars/restaurants etc in Salzburg fairly relaxed in their dress code or would we need to make sure we wern't too scruffy?- I don't have a feel for whether some smart clothes would be appropriate or not! We're not looking to dine at Michelan stared places or anything!

Smart casual is absolutely fine.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,671 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Eleventh Hour Concerns

The Schafbergbahn was featured on Mr Portillo's programme - he stayed in the hotel at the top.

London, United...
Level Contributor
262 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Eleventh Hour Concerns

So I've *finally* booked somewhere! Booked the Sheraton opposite Mirabell Gardens. It seems it's in a slightly better position than some others we were looking at. We land around 1pm on Sunday :D

Now to plan all the stuff I want to do and things like that...

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Eleventh Hour Concerns

Yes, that's a good location for seeing the sights. You just need to cross the Makartsteg footbridge into the old town to see all the main sights (a ten minute walk).

London, United...
Level Contributor
262 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Eleventh Hour Concerns

Good stuff, that's what I like to hear LizR! I just need to sort everything else out now - like where we can go for Breakfast, where we should trek to on day trips and how, timetables, restaurant reviews, oh and learning German besides 'Danke'!