We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time holiday in Austria

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
47 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
First time holiday in Austria

Myssel and my wife are thinking of going to Salzburg area for a week in early May. We'ed like to enjoy our surroundings - we are looking to have a relaxed holiday, taking in as much sceenery as possible and also have a culinary experience. We're open to all ideas. The trip is to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary so we want the experience to be special. No plans yet all suggestions welcome.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
47 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: First time holiday in Austria

Thanks, that explains it. I'll broaden my search on hotels, many thanks for the info.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
681 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: First time holiday in Austria

Great advice and ideas from the others as always. The lake district is great - we stayed at the Cortisen in St Wolfgang a couple of years ago which was lovely. However, just to add a thought - how about the Tirol - maybe Seefeld? The scenery is far more dramatic, and Seefeld is a great option without a car. It's a short train ride from Innsbruck, and you can go into Garmish Partenkirchen and Mittenwald on the train. The resort of Seefeld would fit your bill for relaxing very well - a lovely centre square with a good selection of shops, a lake to walk around (an hour tops), a furnicular railway up one mountain and a chair lift up the other which give fantastic views from the cafes at the top and both present easy walks down. There are also many other easy and medium walks of one to 4 hours.

There are many restaurants in the village, but in Austria half board is always a good option - most 3/4+ star hotels have 3 or 4 courses with salad and give one the opportunity to try foods one maybe wouldn't chose from a menu. We've always had good food in Austria - both meat and fish based and veggie.

I suppose it comes down to the sort of base you want, but for my first visit to Austria I would highly recommend the more dramatic scenery of Tirol.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
681 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: First time holiday in Austria

Me again. Forget what I said about Seefeld - I've only just noticed you're going early May which is too early to enjoy Tirol at it's best!

14. Re: First time holiday in Austria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 22, 2014