We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

indecisive about salzburg

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
474 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
indecisive about salzburg

I have 1 night to spend in Salzburg and can't decide whether to go to the Marionette Theater or to a concert at Mirabelle Gardens. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Warwick,uk
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: indecisive about salzburg

Unless you have children with you I would go to the concert instead if you really must choose between those two.

If you have just one night however it seems a shame to shut yourself away in one place. The city is beautiful at night illuminated and to enjoy a leisurely meal then stroll around or a boat trip down the river will probably leave you with a much more glowing memory of Salzburg.

Charlotte, NC
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: indecisive about salzburg

We plan to arrive Nov 11 depart 14th to Passau. any suggestions for a B&B close in and also transportation local and also how long it takes from Salzburg to Passau via rail (or better mode??) will connect with River cruise... wil also invite recommendations for quality hotel

Scarsdale, NY
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: indecisive about salzburg

I too am looking for ways to travel between Salzburg and Passau.

The two options I've found are rail and car.

Ordinarily www.raileurope.com is good at providing train schedules, but not between these two points. However, www.salzburg.com did come up with a routing. Go to the site, click on Getting here, then rail, and then I hope you read German because the train info appears to be only in that language. Trains from Salzburg go to Weis, where it is necessary to connect to a new train going to Passau. At the time of day I'm planning to travel, the journey will take about two hours and 40 minutes.

If you prefer to drive, www.viamichelin.com puts the distance at 71 miles with a driving time of one hour and 41 minutes.

Good luck and have a wonderful trip.

new orleans la
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: indecisive about salzburg

try trudeshome.com for a b and b.

Level Contributor
1,424 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: indecisive about salzburg

I would recommend that you go to the Dinner with Mozart. It was delightful. The Puppets were OK, however the entire show is in German and has a tendency to be very long.

I recommend the Hotel Sacher. Centrally located to everything. Also, have the concierge arrange a private guide. Since everything is very close, you will learn so much with the guide's stories. Well worth the money!

The castle up on the hill has a self guided tour option, but I do not recommend it. As you listen to the audio recording, the area you should be observing is not well marked and basically you have no idea what you are suppose to be looking at. All the english speaking people around me were equaly as confused.

Don't miss the chess players in the square, or the "most beautiful cemetary" in the world.

Salzburg is just a delightful little down and the people are very very friendly.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: indecisive about salzburg

To be honest, it all depens on your interest and age.

I am Mid 30's and wouldnt do either. The best memories I have of Salzburg is the food and the lights in and around the old town. Dont deprive yourself if you only have one night.

Matt.