We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What neighborhood should I stay while in Salzburg? Tips?

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
What neighborhood should I stay while in Salzburg? Tips?

As a last minute addition to a trip before traveling to Munich for Oktoberfest, a friend and I will be traveling to Salzburg October 1st through the 4th. Being in our late 20s and females traveling alone, where should we focus our hotel search? I would like to feel safe, be close to the action, but not too close where the area is loud.

Any other recommendations, such as 'must-sees' would be appreciated as well!

Thank you!

Vienna
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What neighborhood should I stay while in Salzburg? Tips?

Trybelow and you can walk to old town

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g190441-d228067…

Salzburg is a very safe place and I would not stay close to train station as area is not too nice.

Plan one day for old town and castle, go to Hellbrunn palace. If weather is nice Untersberg can be reached with cable car. For many a Sound of Music tour is a must or just go to Wolfgangsee and take a boat ride.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
415 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What neighborhood should I stay while in Salzburg? Tips?

Hi Em

I would stay just over the main bridge from the ‘old town’ around the Linzer Gasse area.

Its handy to all the sights, has plenty of bars and restaurants and quite safe.

Depends how much you can afford, but I understand that the Hotel Wolf Dietrich is quite nice (stayed there a few years ago) and in a quieter part of town (Wolf Dietrich Strasse) Also, try the Star Inn Gablerbrau on Linzer Gasse which is in a terrific spot and a bit cheaper (only 3 star). Around the Mirabell Garden is nice too with plenty of hotels and pensions to choose from. The Crown Plaza –The Pitter sometimes has good deals but it’s getting closer to the main train station which is an area you want to avoid.

Suggest that for your time in Salzburg, you get the Salzburg Card which will give you entry to most sights plus public transport. Yes, one day you should take the bus to the “lakes district’ (Salzkammergut) to villages such as Fuschl am See, St Gilgen, St Wolfgang, Bad Ischl and Hallstatt. In any case the local tourist office should be visited which will give you suggestions on what to see for your age group – not sure you would be interested in Sound of Music tours!

The roof top Café at the Hotel Stern is worth a visit for its views of Salzburg as is the Augustiner Brewery.

Have a great time.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What neighborhood should I stay while in Salzburg? Tips?

Agree don't stay to close to the Railway Station.

I would also recommend the same area as both previous posts.

You are a short walk to the old town.

A short walk to Mirabellplatz to pick up a bus. (For example you can get the 150 from there to the lake district)

Plenty of cafes and restaurants, (Not as expensive as in the old town)

Another example in that area

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g190441-d2280…

4. Re: What neighborhood should I stay while in Salzburg? Tips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, September 23, 2014