We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending christmas in Salzburg

Level Contributor
28 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Spending christmas in Salzburg

We will be spending 23-26 Dec in Salzburg, traveling out of Munich. We are a family of 2 adults and 2 kids (8 and 10). I am thinking of doing a Panaroma Sound of Music and Salt Mine tour, and visiting the Christmas markets. Would appreciate some recommendation:

1) accommodation

2) transport to and from Munich - is Bayern ticket by RE train the best choice? No reservation required?

3) transport within Salzburg - should we buy Salzburg card?

4) tours - sound of music tour and salt mine - is taking a guided tour the best option?

5) what other activities?

6) can we expect to see snow?

Edelweiss Tours
City Tours, Multi-day Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Panorama Tours
Day Trips, Bus Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Literary, Art & Music Tours
Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Spending christmas in Salzburg

I would definitely choose the Hotel am Dom for location. It's a one minute walk from the Christmas markets. Even less if you walk quickly ;-)

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
262 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Spending christmas in Salzburg

This is all such fabulous information. We will be spending next Christmas in Salzburg so I'm busily squirrelling away info from the people going this year.

Emsworth, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Spending christmas in Salzburg

We have booked in at Hotel Hofwirt in December. From reviews - Good breakfast, near to restaurants and old town. We booked through www.Booking.com.

Level Contributor
28 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Spending christmas in Salzburg

Hello all,

We are back from Salzburg. Went from Munich to Salzburg by Regional train on a Bayern ticket (EUR 27 for 2 adults and kids free). Took a taxt to Hotel Am Dom in old tow.n. The hotel is good (see my hotel review).

We bought a Salzburg day pass for the day of arrival (23rd Dec) Used it for fortress (including the furnicular), Mozart Birthplace and Mozart Residence. Spent the rest of the time at Mozartplatz Xmas market.

On 24 th Dec, we took Panaroma's Salt Mine and Sound of Music Tours. They were good, will review seperately. We were back at 6pm. Good thing we made an early reservation for Xmas eve dinner at Restaurant Herzl. Most eateries were closed by that time, even MacDonalds.

On 25th Dec, we took Panaroma's Horse Drawn Sleigh tour, which was good as well. Pity there were no snowfall the 4 days we were in Salzburg, though we did see snow in the mountains. We were back at 6pm. Dinner was by reservation at St Peter's Stiftkeller. It was interesting to be in the oldest restaurant.

On 26th Dec, most shops are still closed, only a few sourvenir shops are opened. We left on a Bayern ticket back to Munch.

I'll review the each restaurant and attraction seperately. I'm happy to answer your questions, should you need help on what I have experienced.

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,888 posts
477 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Spending christmas in Salzburg

Thanks for this posting. I wish more people would post the result of their asked questions.

26. Re: Spending christmas in Salzburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 04, 2015