We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acceptance of credit cards in Salzburg area

London, United...
Level Contributor
209 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Acceptance of credit cards in Salzburg area

Last year while visiting the Lake Constance area of Germany, we had trouble getting restaurants and supermarkets to accept a credit card. The only places we were sure to be able to use them were garages. Are credit cards generally accepted in the Salzburg/Hallstatt area when eating out. I am talking major cards like VISA.

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Hallstatt
Hallstatt
Upper Austria, Austria
Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Acceptance of credit cards in Salzburg area

Tourist spots like Hallstatt/Salzburg are used to people paying with plastic in restaurants.

Go off the beaten track and cash is king.

I would not recommend using a Visa card unless you have something like the Halifax Clarity card.

A lot of them have fees or say no fees but load the FX rate.

Prepaid cash cards are much better as you great FX rates when you load and can use at POS or cash machines. Also you can have more than one and you can leave one at the Hotel or give to a member of your family. Loose one and it's a quick phone call to get the money moved to the other card.

Where ever you go I would recommend having emergency cash like say €100 just in case you are not able to use your card.

Mentioned in this post
Hallstatt
Hallstatt
Upper Austria, Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Acceptance of credit cards in Salzburg area

I agree with staff025. You can expect the same experience as along Lake Constance.

London, United...
Level Contributor
209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Acceptance of credit cards in Salzburg area

Many thanks for your comments

USA
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Acceptance of credit cards in Salzburg area

I don't know about Great Britain, but prepaid cash cards in the USA give a terrible exchange rate and have all sorts of fees for using them--some even have fees for NOT using them.

So, at least for American travelers, best is to use your credit card wherever you can and use your bank ATM card to get cash from European bank cash machines. Hopefully you have a bank that doesn't charge you anything for using a foreign ATM and credit card company that doesn't charge more than the standard 1% VISA/MC network foreign exchange fee for charging stuff. But even if you do have a bank or a credit card company that has extra charges, you will still do better than exchanging cash or getting a prepaid cash card. Again this is for travelers from the USA.

We found many places in Salzburg took our credit card--shops, restaurants, attractions. Not to the degree as in the USA, but we used our credit card more than we used cash.

Mentioned in this post
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Bridgewater, New...
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Acceptance of credit cards in Salzburg area

I use a United MasterCard and/or Visa. They recently instituted no fees when you charge. We had no problem using our credit card. I believe there was only one place that only accepted cash and I believe that was Café Tomasselli.

6. Re: Acceptance of credit cards in Salzburg area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 16, 2014