We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best mountain town near Salzburg for hiking?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
11 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Best mountain town near Salzburg for hiking?

My wife and I visited Ortisei in Val Gardena a couple summers ago. We loved the easy access to great hikes in the mountains. We also enjoyed being able to hike up a peak in the Alpe Di Suisi.

This summer we want to hike in the mountains, hike up a peak or two, and hopefully hike some via ferratta routes in Germany/Austria rather than Italy.

We would like to find a similar area to Val Gardena in the German/Austrian Alps. Right now we are leaning towards staying 4 nights in Innsbruck, Garmish, or Mittenwald (all near the Zugspitze) in Austrian Tirol. These cities are easy to get to and seem to be well outfitted for exploring the nearby mountains. I'm interested in your recommendation of other towns that would fit our interests. I'm somewhat interested in the Salzburg area, but don't know which towns near there are surrounded by large mountains (Salzburg seemed more like it was in the foothills rather than the mountains when I last visited).

Thank you!

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best mountain town near Salzburg for hiking?

Hi

What would you call a high mountain?

There are bigger foothills in the Salzkammergut but how high do you want to go?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
11 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best mountain town near Salzburg for hiking?

I want to go pretty damn high. I live standing on top of the world. The highest I've climbed in the US is 4000 meters (the Rockies are higher than the Alps). I've think climbed as high as 3000 meters in Europe.

We want high peaks that can be hiked in a day or less (6 to 8 hours). We don't have time for multi-day climbs (Grossglocker won't be happening).

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best mountain town near Salzburg for hiking?

If you want 3,000 + then I would take a look at the Tyrol/Stubai Alps.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
11 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best mountain town near Salzburg for hiking?

Thank you for helping us narrow out choice Staff! I was worried that the Salzburg area is surrounded by smaller mountains. I've been looking at the Tyrol area a bit, I'll check out the Stubai area as well!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
3,991 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best mountain town near Salzburg for hiking?

Hi,

While we're not hikers, if you're looking for a high alpine area, you may want to look into the Zillertal in Austria. I think Mayrhofen would be the ideal place to base using public transportation. We styed in the Zillertal in 9/09. Some of the most impressive/beautiful (high mountains) scenery we've seen in 7 trips to Austria, Bavaria and the Dolomites. It's about an hour or so east (and a bit south) from Innsbruck.

http://www.zillertal.at/en/summer/home/

You can see our photo's here:

www.worldisround.com/home/pja1/index.html

Another area that might be of interest is the Oetztal in Austria. This is about an hour or so west (and a bit south) of Innsbruck. Soelden is the main town in this valley. We spent 4 nights here a long time ago. Still ranks right up there with the most stunning mountains in the Alps.

http://www.oetztal.com

http://www.oetztal.at/home.html

Paul

6. Re: Best mountain town near Salzburg for hiking?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, August 11, 2014