We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comments on Itinerary Please

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
933 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Comments on Itinerary Please

So this is my 2014 itinerary after 4 nights in Vienna (6/21-6/24). If anyone has any comments I am interested and would appreciate it.

We will rent a car in Vienna either late 6/24 or early 6/25.

6/25/14 Danube bike ride, over night Durnstein or Spitz.

6/26 Melk Abbey, Mauthausan, overnight Bad Ischl

6/27 Hallstatt, salt mine and Dachstein mountain and cave, (Can we do all this?) overnight Bad Iscal

6/28. St Wolfgang, St Gilgen, overnight Salzburg

6/29. Salzburg, overnight Salzburg

6/30. Berchtesgaden, toll road in morning (Rossfeld Ring Rd). 13:30 Eaglesnest tour, not doing the boat, overnight Salzburg

7/1. Innsbruck return car, train to Bolzano, bus to Ortisei, Dolomites, Italy

What do you think of Hallstatt and Eaglesnest? Too crowded this time of year to enjoy?

I would like to do an Alpine road and I read there is one near Berchtesgaden. I also would like to do a salt mine tour and not sure which one would work best. We like hiking, walking (in our 50s) and will be spending 6 nights in the Dolomites for hiking and then 5 nights around Lake Garda. Does anyone know how the Salzkammergut compares to the Dolomites and Lake Garda. I would like to experience the best of both areas in Austria and Italy.

Are there other places we should add in Austria and something we should drop? Any thoughts on arranging our overnights to take in the sights we are planning?

Thanks.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Comments on Itinerary Please

6/27 Yes you can do Hallstatt, salt mine, ice cave. As you are coming from Bad Ischl you will be able to start early and you have a car. So no problems.

6/28 No problem. I assume you will just drive to St Wolfgang - St Gilgen - Salzburg.

Not going to be that busy in June, June is a good time to visit.

Lake Garda I would stay in Riva.

Dolomites have a look at Selva. Stunning walking and scenery.

Similar scenery to the Salzkammergut.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
933 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Comments on Itinerary Please

Thanks.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,878 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Comments on Itinerary Please

If you would like to embed an Alpine road, then I would consider the famous Großglockner High Alpine Road (www.grossglockner.at) which takes you close to Austria's highest mountain, the Großglockner. You could combine this road with another one, namely the Gerlos Alpine Road (www.gerlosstrasse.at), both ideally done between Salzburg and Innsbruck.

As you will be in Hallstatt, I would visit the salt mine there.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
933 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Comments on Itinerary Please

Mikey - if we do the alpine roads on the way to Innsbruck would we have time the same day to catch a train to Bolzano?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
933 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Comments on Itinerary Please

Staff025 - We are planning on staying in Ortisei in the Dolomites which I think is in Selva. I was thinking of staying in Malcasine on Lake Garda but am now considering Riva instead and day trip to Malcasine.

Thanks.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Comments on Itinerary Please

It's close to Selva. The scenery around there is stunning. Some of the road trips are incredible.

Lake Garda.

You can do a nice boat trip from Riva to Malcasine. The cable car at Malcasine up Monte Boldo Is not to be missed. It's the only 360 degree cable car in the world. Views of Lake Garda from the top are spectacular.

In my opinion Riva is nicer that Malcasine.

Edited: 5:56 am, June 24, 2013
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
933 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Comments on Itinerary Please

Thanks. We will do Riva. I did not know that about the cable car in Malcasine which we will do. Hopefully one of the days we are planning for Lake Garda will have clear weather.

I just checked a map ans realized Selva is a town not an area.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,884 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Comments on Itinerary Please

nubbyrose. your itinerary is pretty busy.

I see that you are looking for an alpine pass to use. well, if you can arrange it on your routing, suggest that you try the grossglockner pass. this is the most stunning pass in all of Europe. maybe this is the one that you believe is nearest to Berchtesgaden.

Edited: 3:14 pm, June 24, 2013
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
933 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Comments on Itinerary Please

Nakagoli-

I would like to try and fit in gross glockner alpine road. I did not know how special it was. I was thinking of doing the Rossfeld Ring Rd near Berchtesgaden but would rather do gross glockner now.

From Vienna to Bolzano our schedule is busy. We start 4 nights in Prague, bus to Vienna 4 nights then will be doing a sight seeing driving trip through Austria which is the busy part. Once in the Dolomites we plan to stay in one hotel for 6 nights and then 5 in Lake Garda. So we won't be traveling around much in Italy - hiking in the Dolomites and then taking it easy in Lake Garda.

What do you think?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
933 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Comments on Itinerary Please

I realize that weather may limit what we actually end up doing.