We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

European honeymoon Munich to Budapest

Chicago, Illinois
5 posts
Save Topic
European honeymoon Munich to Budapest

We have 13 full days (plus a half day since our plane lands around noon) to go from Munich to Budapest. My fiancé and I are flying into Munich at the end of June and flying out of Budapest 2 weeks later. Since we've been to Munich proper before, we are going to Neuschwanstein Castle after we land and spending one night there. After Neuschwanstein Castle, that leaves us 12 entire days to go to Strasbourg, Vienna, Budapest and possibly Prague. Since it's our honeymoon, we don't want to cram in too much into the trip but we keep going back and forth about wether or not to divert into Prague. How should we divide our time between cities? Should we go to Prague or are there better day trips we should explore between Strasbourg and Budapest? Any advice is appreciated.

Vienna
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: European honeymoon Munich to Budapest

You will spend a lot of time in the train. Prague is easy to be reached from Austria or Germany. Strasbourg is on other hand in opposite direction when going from Munich to Budapest. I guess best would be Strasbourg - Prague - Vienna - Budapest.

I would alternatively check going from Neuschwanstein to Innsbruck - Salzburg - Prague - Vienna - Budapest. You will never travel more than 4-5 hours on the train. All big cities need normally 3 days given you can see so much.

Chicago, Illinois
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: European honeymoon Munich to Budapest

I think my spellcheck autochecked my Salzburg typo to Strasbourg. Sorry I didn't catch that. I meant to say we are going from Neuschwanstein to Salzburg plus Vienna and Budapest. It looks like if we take a train or bus from Salzburg to Linz we could take a 4 hour bus ride to Prague. If we do that and then go from Prague to Vienna to Budapest are we stretching ourselves too thin. Will we spend too much of our honeymoon on trains and buses? If we skip Prague and just keep Salzburg, Vienna and Budapest as our key cities how many days should we divide our 12 days between those cities? Are there any day trips you'd recommend away from the big cities?

3. Re: European honeymoon Munich to Budapest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 05, 2014