We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for hiking holiday?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay for hiking holiday?

Hello,

We are a couple in our 20's ready for our first ever hiking holiday! We will be flying into Salzburg for a 5 day holiday. I would like to stay somewhere we can can hike during the day and return to our residence in the evening. Although we are quite fit, the only hiking we've ever done is a 11km walk through the Thai jungle, so we want this to be a positive experience :)

We would like to stay somewhere we can have half board. We don't need nightlife in the town as I'm sure we'll be too tired to go out after our hike. Besides hiking, I'd like to visit thermal baths for a half day and the ice caves in Dachstein. We will not have a car and will use public transport. I'd like to stay in a place that has beautiful hikes and a lake to walk around with hikes that are easily accessible from where we're staying.

Can you recommend a town for us to stay in? I'm a bit overwhelmed at the choices from Salzburg! So far St. Wolfgang, Zell am See, Hallstatt seem to be the front runners.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for hiking holiday?

I would stay somewhere on Lake Wolfgang if I were you. Lots of great hiking around the lake and the surrounding mountains but also well placed (transport-wise) for going to the thermal baths at Bad Ischl. You're also within easy access of Dachstein and Hallstatt. We did a superb walk up above Gosausee, taking the cable car part way up and then you can walk as far as you like. One of my favourite walks ever.

The villages on Wolfgangsee are St Gilgen, St Wolfgang and Strobl. St Gilgen is really at the wrong end of the lake for the other things you want to do but St Wolfgang or Strobl would be ideal. Strobl is the quietest and personally our favourite - no nightlife, no bars, just a few hotels and cafes but a beautiful lake front. St Wolfgang will have more choice of hotels/guest houses, but can be very touristy in summer. If, however you're heading out to walk each day this wouldn't be a problem for you.

See this website on the Lake Wolfgang area for ideas:

…salzkammergut.at/en/home.html#oben

Edited: 3:53 am, April 11, 2013
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for hiking holiday?

Hello,

Thanks so much for the info! I've been researching St. Wolfgang now because I think it will be the perfect fit for us. I used St. Wolfgang's website to find half board options but the only hotels coming up during our travel dates are in Strobl. I was hoping to stay in St. Wolfgang as it seems more lively just in case we want to wander out at night. Do you have any recommendations for half board in St. Wolfgang? Using booking.com and then going to the individual hotel's websites I've found a couple but our top priority is good food.

Once we get to St. Wolfgang can we just go to the tourist office and pick up a hiking map? Is this the best way to plan our hikes?

Thanks so much!

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for hiking holiday?

If not using a car then St Wolfgang does not make a good base.

It's the wrong side of the lake.

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay for hiking holiday?

Staff, is there no bus between St Wolfgang and Strobl?

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay for hiking holiday?

There is a bus.

But it just delays getting anywhere.

Also Wolfgang is not the best location for inexperienced walkers.

With the exception of walking around the lake of course.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay for hiking holiday?

Thanks for all your advice! We're booked at Gasthof Franz Josef and we're super excited.

What is the best/easiest way to plan out our hikes? Does the tourism office have them in town?

Thanks,

Leigh

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay for hiking holiday?

Yes they will have maps.

If you stick to the paths they do simple maps with the paths marked

All the paths are well marked with yellow signs and are easy to follow.

You can also get maps with the cycle routes marked.

Try and get down to Bad Ischl on the 546 Bus.

Loads of valley walks following rivers with great scenery.

Bad Ischl is the way to get to Lake Traunsee and Lake Hallstatt on the train.

Spectacular walking around Lake Hallstatt.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay for hiking holiday?

BTW Good choice for the accommodation.

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay for hiking holiday?

Yes I agree about Gasthof Franz Josef. It's right beside the tiny dock for the boat to the other villages on the lake. You'll have a great time.

A nice walk from St Wolfgang to Ried or, in the other direction, to Strobl. These are simple road walks but there are lots of hiking trails in the mountains. Don't miss the chance to take the cog railway to the top of the Schaffberg. An easy walk to the station from your hotel.

10. Re: Where to stay for hiking holiday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, April 14, 2014