We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eagles Nest without guide ?

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
24 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Eagles Nest without guide ?

Hi, I was planning to visit Eagles Nest (with Dokumentation Centre + bunkers) in mid -June. Ordinarily I would have taken the guided tour , since I am keen on the historical context - but sticking to fixed tour timings (4 hours) seems to restrict my options for the rest of the day + i would like to do the Dok part at my own pace. So , I am wondering whether to do the EN trip on my own ? I know audio guides are available for the Dok, anything similar for the actual Kehlsteinhaus? If not , is that a major issue ?

Panorama Tours
Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Literary, Art & Music Tours
Edelweiss Tours
City Tours, Multi-day Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,326 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eagles Nest without guide ?

Overall itinerary for the day.

Where are you doing this trip from (Salzburg?????).

Car or public transport and from where.

You can go to the Dokumentation and Kehlsteinhaus on your own if you want to.

The Kehlsteinhaus is now a cafe/restaurant.

The only issue is that interior tours of the Kehlsteinhaus are by appointment and only available via group tours.

You can book directly at www.eagles-nest-tours.de . Cost €21.50

http://www.kehlsteinhaus.de/en/index.php

The advertising for the "tour" is misleading. Such statements as

"Reserved return seats on the Eagles Nest Shuttle bus"

"Return ride in the original Brass elevator"

The normal ticket to visit the Kehlsteinhaus costs €16. Purchase it at the bus station near the Dokumentation. This entitles you to use EXACTLY the same shuttle bus as above tour and the Brass Elevator

In addition this tours advert "Restaurant seat reservations" is just a way of getting more money out of you.

Sitting on the Cafe Terrace outside in nice weather is far nicer.

Last time I went there just went up and ran around on the rocks for a bit then went to the cafe terrace and enjoyed a beer and "Brotzeit"

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eagles Nest without guide ?

Eagles Nest area is easily done on your own. With much to see there for a history buff, you can spend time as you wish.

This area of Obersalzberg / Eagles Nest is easily reached by bus#838 from Berchtsgaden or by auto.

From Salzburg - easy bus ride to - transfer at Berchtesgaden train station to #838.

The documentation center takes time to see.

A special bus is needed to take you up to the Eagles Nest.

Great views, but most think the building is not that interesting.

If you like history, I recommend that you go to the nearby " Zum Turken " this close to the former Berghof.

This utilized during Hitler times as a SS guard barracks.

Below this, you can tour portions of the extensive bunker system .

www.hotel-zum-tuerken.de

Much better than those by the Documentation Center and many fewer people. Few if any tours come here.

Just below the Zum Turken - simply walk downhill on the small road and on the left a small pathway to the few remains of Hitlers Berghof. several walls still seen.

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
24 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eagles Nest without guide ?

Thanx all for your posts. Actually I am not so worried about the logistics of the EN trip - that seems simple enough to do on one's own. My question was specific to whether missing out on any historical context that a guide may provide at the Kehlsteinhaus is a huge issue ? The feeling I get is that doing a shorter unguided trip up to actual Kehlsteinhaus - but spending more time at the Dokumantation Centre (& possibly Zum turken bunkers) might still be more interesting from a history buff's perspective .

By the way, I plan to do it as a day trip from Salzburg by RVO bus - & was also planning to do a Koenigsee boat trip during the same day.

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eagles Nest without guide ?

You might struggle to fit in a Konigsee boat trip on the same day but once you know how easy it is to get to Berchtesgaden from Salzburg you could always do it another day. You transfer to bus 843 in Berchtesgaden to Konigsee. It will only take about fifteen minutes. The boat trip is long (around two hours) and very leisurely so you wouldn't want to be worrying about time factors if you try to cram it all in on one day. Just my thoughts ..

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,326 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eagles Nest without guide ?

The 841 bus has the better and more regular service from Berchtesgaden to the Jennerbahn/Königssee

www.rvo-bus.de/file/3191968/data/841.pdf

840 bus from Salzburg

www.rvo-bus.de/file/3191966/data/840.pdf

www.rvo-bus.de/file/3191760/data/838.pdf

You can buy a day ticket from the Bus driver of the 840 bus to cover all Berchtesgaden buses. Costs €9.50

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
24 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eagles Nest without guide ?

Thanx for the timetable links , giftzwerg - really helpful.

LizR - others too have suggested that attempting both Koenigsee & ENT on same day may be a little too ambitious ! But, I was just working the bus timetables to draw up a possible itinerary below - it looks little busy, but doable. Am I missing something obvious ? -

Bus 840 Sal-Bercht : 0815 - 0901

Bus 841 Bercht - Konigsee : 0915 - 0924

<< allow 3+ hours for round boat trip>>

Bus 841 Konig - Bercht : 1251 - 1304

Bus 838 Bercht - Dok : 1320 - 1332

<< allow 4+ full hrs for Dok/bunker/Kehl on my own >>>

Bus 838 Dok - Berch : 1739 - 1753

Bus 840 Berch - Sal 1815 -

Ofcourse , this assumes the buses stick to time ( its Germany !!) & it is not so crowded that we end up missing scheduled buses.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eagles Nest without guide ?

I would trust the advice by Liz. She ,by her reports here, has often been in this area. She would know the problem planning trying to do too much

Some things to consider-

The Konigsee Lake boats are electric powered to keep the quality of the water. Thus , not really fast.

I believe it takes about 30 minutes to get to the first stop St. Bartholoma - then onward about another 30 minutes to Salet/ Obersee. You can see just the boat ride without sightseeing and waiting lines is relatively long.

This trip is very popular and many times very crowded.

Often , especially later in the day , long lines are found at Bartholoma to re board the boat back to the lake edge.

This delay not just frustrating ,will mean all future plans including meeting a specific bus to return to Berchtsgaden are no longer valid.

Often long lines waiting for the bus - thus a specific recommended bus route not valid either.

At busy times take the first available.

The Eagles Nest gets busy also. Make a reservation to do the return trip as you arrive by the elevator parking lot.

No need for a guide there. Not really much there. Most say the house was not a favorite place of Hitler Limited things to see- food and drink over priced. Best thing-

Great view if a good weather day .

Zum Turken is much lesser known to many people - the bunkers extensive with gun placements , switchbacks. To me quite interesting.

At one time these tunnels connected much in the area including Berghof access. This now bricked up and not useable.

Bormann , Goring and others had homes in this immediate area. These destroyed long ago.

Tunnels went in that direction also.

You will see numerous buidings on both sides of the roadway on the way from Berchtsgaden to the Documentation center. One complex was a model farm during the Hitler area.

8. Re: Eagles Nest without guide ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 07, 2014