We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake District Full Day tour

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
84 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Lake District Full Day tour

Hi

I know this is gonna be a very repititive subject / question but im still gonna risk it! :)

We're a group of 3 friends (all adults) visiting salzburg from 13th - 16th June (staying at star inn gablerbrau). Wanted ideas/thoughts/suggestion regarding a full day lake district tour that we are keen to do

We are doing the "sound of music" bicycle tour which i believe covers all the SOM city locations. We wanted to do the city & the tour nice and slow & hence chose the bicycle tour for the city & a seperate lake district full day tour.

On the lake district day trip we'd like to cover the SOM lake district locations (lake fuschl, lake wolfgang & lake mondsee). At lake wolfgang we were contemplating to take the scaffberg train. & then head onto Bad Ischl (peek into kaiservilla) & then Hallstat and returning to salzburg late eve.

(not interested in the salt mines)

Does this seem possible for a day trip or is it being over ambitious ? Any ideas/suggestions ?

Ive mailed a few tours for this (though i dont see an itinerary for all of this on their website). Any suggestions how to go about it ? Tour company ? Public transport ? We havent driven in Austria & im a bit apprehensive about that.

Look forward to hearing!

Puneet

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake District Full Day tour

You could do most of this if you rented a car for the day. Otherwise you'd be struggling to pull much of it in. If you set off from Salzburg very early you could do Fuschl, St Gilgen and St Wolfgang in the morning, including the Schaffberg railway (only do this if it's a clear day) and then drive on to Bad Ischl in the afternoon. You could return to Salzburg via the autobahn from Mondsee but it would be going into early evening by then. That shouldn't be a problem as in June the evenings are very long. You might have to choose between Mondsee and Halstatt.

Edited: 5:55 am, March 16, 2013
Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake District Full Day tour

LizR is correct

You will never do all that without a car and it would be a very long day.

If using public transport just get a bus to St Gilgen then maybe boat to St Wolfgang and do the Schafberg.

Then boat back to St Gilgen and bus back to Salzburg. Would be a very nice relaxing day.

If very low cloud skip the Schafberg and maybe spend all day on the boat and visit St Gilgen, St Wolfgang and Strobl. Maybe get a bus from Strobl to Bad Ischl then late bus back to Salzburg. Or bus from Strobl back to Salzburg or boat back to St Gilgen. If you do the whole of the lake return trip buy the boat day ticket.

Schafberg and Boats

schafbergbahn.at/service/downloads/infofolde…

If you do Hallstatt it would be easy to combine with Bad Ischl.

To do Hallstatt, Bad Ischl and Lake Wolfgang is possible but again it's a long day.

I would bring up Google maps for Lake Wolfgang and Lake Hallstatt and check where every thing is.

Try to come up with two itinerary's one for good weather and one for bad weather.

For example if weather bad you could still do Hallstatt but go down the salt mine.

Maybe combine with Ice caves at Dachstein/Obertraun.

Weather good take lots of boat trips.

Problem with the Lake district is there is too much to do. I have been exploring for 4 years and I still have a very long must do list. :-)

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
84 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake District Full Day tour

Thank you so much ! I'm leaning towards hiring a car - is Austria and the Salzburg region a right hand and right wheel drive ? If yes then maybe I could do grossglockner also with a car rental.

Thanks for the idea of two itineraries I think that's gonna be very useful!

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake District Full Day tour

Drive on the Right steering wheel on the left.

5. Re: Lake District Full Day tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 19, 2014