We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any side affects Tick-Borne Encephalitis vaccination

Parmelia
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Topic
Any side affects Tick-Borne Encephalitis vaccination

Hi, I will be travelling to Austria between September and December this year, I am considering getting the vaccination for Tick-Borne Encephalitis, as I have been told that ticks are quite prevelant in Austria and I would like to visit the mountains etc. Has anyone had the vaccine and are there any side affects? Thank you

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any side affects Tick-Borne Encephalitis vaccination

I didn't realize that the vaccine was even suggested to tourists. If you live here, yes, especially if you do a lot of outdoor activities. I have had the vaccine as has my entire family. I had a bad reaction to my second booster, so didn't have any more. The rest of my family had no problems. Do you know that to be fully vaccinated, you need to receive a series of 3 shots over the course of a year? Seems a bit extreme to me for just coming here as a tourist. I am no doctor, but since I have not had the full series, I have been told that if I have a tick on me that has bitten, I should go to the doctor for treatment. I have been told that as long as you get treatment for a tick bite quickly, you will be fine (again I am no doctor). The chances that the tick biting you even has TBE is very small. In my 5+ years here (which includes frequent outdoor activities), I have never seen a tick. I am sure others have, but not me. When I go home to the US, as comparison, I see them all over the place.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any side affects Tick-Borne Encephalitis vaccination

Agree

Not required for a visitor

September - December is not even peak season for ticks.

The recommendation has always been do not get the vaccinations unless you are going to live in Austria full time. Or work outdoors on a farm or in woods for any period of time.

Most ticks are found in grass up to a height of 70CM.

So just make sure you don't walk in long grass with bare legs.

The first 2 jabs give up to 90% protection.

Here is the distribution map for TBE in Europe.

http://zecken.at/fsme/verbreitungsgebiete/

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any side affects Tick-Borne Encephalitis vaccination

We go to Salzburg three times a year and have never worried about this. As long as you're not planning on rolling round on the grass or sleep on it at night you really don't need to bother. staff025 gives good advice above.

4. Re: Any side affects Tick-Borne Encephalitis vaccination

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:09 am, February 07, 2013
Edited: 4:09 am, February 07, 2013
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any side affects Tick-Borne Encephalitis vaccination

Yes, as you can see on the map, the ticks are really found in low areas, not on mountains. The first frost always gets rid of them - this is usually early fall in higher elevations.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
21,678 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any side affects Tick-Borne Encephalitis vaccination

The probability of getting bitten by an infected tick is very very low. The problem with ticks is that, if one is indeed infected, you might get severely sick. Most Austrians are vaccinated, I am pondering now when I had my last "refreshment".

If you do a lot of hiking in areas described above, then it might be a good thing to get one. As far as I remember, ticks can also transmit the Lyme disease for which the vaccination does not come with protection (again, as far as I heard!).

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any side affects Tick-Borne Encephalitis vaccination

you are correct ref Lymes.

If bitten you should go to a doctor and they will probably prescribe a course of antibiotics and then do a serious of blood checks over a long period to look for the Lymes.

If caught early it's not too bad. If left it can be very very nasty.

Perth
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Any side affects Tick-Borne Encephalitis vaccination

Hello,

I have been reading these messages and there appears like good advice, but I was wondering about Germany. I will be in Bad-Wurtemburg, which is on the map as an edemic area and will be travelling through black forest and surrounding areas in probably October and November. I am planning on doing some farmstays, horse-riding and maybe do some bicycling (hopefully on marked paths) to take in the scenery. Should I be getting a vaccine? I know everyone seems to say that the chances are unlikely, but doesn't it only take one infected tick to bite you that could result in me becoming very very ill. So my question is it worth taking the risk and going without or should I be safe then sorry.

Cherries, can you please elaborate on the bad reation you got from the vaccine as the side affects are of obvious a factor in my decision whether I should get it or not.

Thank you

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any side affects Tick-Borne Encephalitis vaccination

My arm swelled up like I had an extra muscle and it was quite sore.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any side affects Tick-Borne Encephalitis vaccination

The original poster has asked a similar question regarding ticks on various forums.

Similar answers given.

Higher altitudes have no ticks- cold weather/frost kills most all ticks.

Most all walking can be done on trails- ticks as mentioned usually found in tall grass.

Personally I walk with a dog at low and high altitudes - have proper shoes, socks, pants - really no need for vaccine.

Getting the shot is a personal choice - most think it is not needed - but for " Peace of Mind " perhaps you wish to do it.