We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip from Salzburg to St Wolfgang or St Gilgen

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip from Salzburg to St Wolfgang or St Gilgen

We will have 3 days in Salzburg on mid Jan so we would like to plan a day trip to either St wolfgang or St gilgen. Is it feasible? 

May you help me to choose which one is better? We like to have spectacular view and stroll around the lake and enjoy some good food.

Is the boat still running in that time? I just check the schedule ( in germany, i use google translate), it seems like the boat is not running.

Other than that, can anyone recommend me which sound of music tour should i join? which tour is more reputable? Thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
204 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip from Salzburg to St Wolfgang or St Gilgen

shaun

We (couple) stayed in St.Gilgen for two nights and it's a gem.The village is fantastic. If you want to do a day trip, arrive early from Salzburg to St.Gilgen,buses are very convinient, roam around the village & lakeside, take the cruise in lake to St.Wolfgang. St. Wolfgang has many yummy bakeries, it's a pretty small town. We also took the cogwheel up SchafergBahn from St.Wolfgang,but I don't know if that would be a good idea in Jan.The lake district,IMO, is a must visit in Salzburg.

Edited: 4:44 am, December 27, 2012
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
249 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip from Salzburg to St Wolfgang or St Gilgen

nehabushan,

I was thinking of a taking a trip to St Gilgen by Bus 150. Then a lake cruise from St Gilgen to St Wolfgang, and then to Hallstatt.

I don't know whether this is possible within 12 hours, but I intend to start as early as 7am.

In your opinion, is this a viable itinerary?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
204 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip from Salzburg to St Wolfgang or St Gilgen

Wow, that's a long plan! Upto Wolfgang, yes, fairly possible. But for Hallstatt, you will have to come back to St. Gilgen to catch bus upto Bad Ischl, then take train from here. And there are particular timings for trains. What I will suggest is make a tight plan, check all the bus & train timings on websites,also, after train, a boat takes u to Hallstatt, even that has some fixed timings. Hallstatt won't take more than an hour, the train journey from Bad Ischl is heavenly. Even Bad Ischl is a very pretty town. You can return to Salzburg directly from here. Check the cruise timings as well. It's doable IMO, u just need to be spot on time.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip from Salzburg to St Wolfgang or St Gilgen

Correction to previous post.

From St Wolfgang you can catch a 546 bus to Bad Ischl via Strobl.

You do not have to go back to St Gilgen.

It is possible to see all of them in a day. But it would be a very long day and you would not have long in each location.

If you do decide to do it. Go to Hallstatt first and work your way back towards Salzburg.

And yes Bad Ischl is a lovely town.

Watch out for the weather it can be very cold in January and even more so next to a lake. Take fleeces, waterproof jackets, gloves and hats, Check the weather forecasts.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip from Salzburg to St Wolfgang or St Gilgen

Thank you for your great advice. I thought we have to take 150 instead of 546? I have problem to locate the bus timetable. I did try on http://www.oebb.at

but i prefer the timetable is at a glace , is there any way I can find the timetable in PDF format ?! thank you.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,930 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip from Salzburg to St Wolfgang or St Gilgen

Route 150: Salzburg-St. Gilgen-Strobl-Bad Ischl

Route 546; St. Wolfgang - Strobl- Bad Ischl

If you perform a query on www.oebb.at, then bus 546 is offered by the system!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,930 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip from Salzburg to St Wolfgang or St Gilgen

By the way, there won't be any ferry services on Lake Wolfgang during winter. At least I would check that beforehand! And prepare for low temperatures! Right now it is fairly warm in Austria, but this may change soon.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
249 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip from Salzburg to St Wolfgang or St Gilgen

Technically, they do have winter lake cruises on Wolfgangsee, albeit for a very period of time from 23 Dec 2012 - 1 Jan 2013 (excl 24 Dec). :-)

schafbergbahn.at/fahrplan/…schifffahrt.html

But seriously, why did not they run lake cruises in winter? I took a lake cruise last January on the Luzerne Lake en-route to Mt Rigi, and it was extremely beautiful and packed with tourists. I bet a similar cruise would be well received in this region as well.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip from Salzburg to St Wolfgang or St Gilgen

but i prefer the timetable is at a glace , is there any way I can find the timetable in PDF format ?! thank you.

Yes

…oebb.at/bin/fphquery/query-p2w.exe/en…

10. Re: Day Trip from Salzburg to St Wolfgang or St Gilgen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 30, 2013