We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salzburg to Munich train

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Salzburg to Munich train

trying to book train for 3 passengers on Dec 12th but timetable seems to only go till Dec 8th... am eager to finalise my bookings , is this correct?

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,231 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salzburg to Munich train

Hi Maureen,

just wait till after 16th October - new timetables are released then. If you intend to use the Bayern ticket (local trains only), there is no need to book - just rock up to the station and get your ticket.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salzburg to Munich train

Thanks for your reply...

is the local train a slower train.. all stops? xpress? Approx cost?

would we be better off booking on line and not having to queue up, translate etc..? Thanks again

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,231 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salzburg to Munich train

Hi again Maureen,

I only knew this because I am also waiting for 16th to book our tix.

a recent thread might help: tripadvisor.com.au/…43021363

you can get the Bayern ticket from the ticket machine (and not pay the 2E surcharge) and aparently it can be changed to deliver info in english. look for posts by abalada .. full of excellent info

cheers

helen

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salzburg to Munich train

The Bayern Ticket. Costs €22 for 1 person then €4 for each additional person up to a total of 5 people. Gives you UNLIMITED use of ALL Regional public transport in Bavaria. Includes ALL Regional trains (includes all Regional trains from Munich to Salzburg - there is a train every hour and the journey takes 2hrs), ALL Regional buses and ALL city transport in Munich, Augsburg and Nürnberg.

Only the fast ICE, IC, EC and RJ Railjet trains are excluded

Valid from 9am weekdays (midnight weekends) until 3am the following morning

Full T&Cs and click on Bayern

bahn.de/i/…laender-ticket.shtml

ITINERARY

What is your EXACT itinerary and reason for going from Salzburg to Munich. Where EXACTLY are you going.

Airport??? Hotel ???

Just really depends on your reason of going from Salzburg to Munich and EXACTLY where you are going and what you are doing. The Bayern Ticket covers you for ALL public transport in Bavaria including all the city transport. A rail ticket will cover you for the S-Bahns in Munich only

e.g. Salzburg to Munich Ostbahnhof is 1h30 on the fast train 2hrs on the Regional.

A normal ticket on the fast EC/RAILJET will cost you €30 each but 3 people on the Bayern Ticket costs €30 in total

Just use www.bahn.de to show the timetables generally. Services between Salzburg and Munich rarely change. Especially the Regional ones.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salzburg to Munich train

wow.. soo much information.. easily explained too..

Bayern ticket it is...

Thanks and see you in December Munich!!..

north carolina
Level Contributor
13 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salzburg to Munich train

Taking two + day to go from Munich to Salzburg to Melk & back to Munich around Dec. 9th. Would love to go from Salzburg to Melk by boat, but wonder if such service is available in winter. Does anyone know? Thanks in advance

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,238 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Salzburg to Munich train

I don't think Salzburg to Melk by boat is available even in the summer, unless they have dug a canal between Salzburg and the Danube.

north carolina
Level Contributor
13 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Salzburg to Munich train

Thank you for pointing out my misstatement so eloquently - I must say, I have been to Salzburg, but in the summer (so I never did see that elusive canal) - and have visited Melk, but by car and, again, in the summer. Going again this winter, and would like to cruise the Danube around Melk. My question really is: are there any excursion boats running from/to Melk (if one is traveling from Munich - not Vienna)in December? Thanks in advance... (and thanks for the smile)

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,238 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Salzburg to Munich train

:)

This might help tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g190441-i391-k37918…

north carolina
Level Contributor
13 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Salzburg to Munich train

Thank you -- I helps indeed