We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salzburg to Hallstatt

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
14 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Salzburg to Hallstatt

Hi everyone,

I've read a lot of posting out there regarding this...but I am still a bit confused... hope someone can help guiding me through this...!

We will be in Salzburg for 3 days in Sept, and would like to take a day trip to Hallstatt.

So... with option 1 - by bus #150

Question 1) where do we find the bus?

Question 2) how much is the bus ride per person?

Question 3) how do we make reservation?

Question 4) do we have to worry about over-crowded bus (booked, etc)?

Question 5) how do we pay?

Question 6) will we know to get off at Bad Ischl???

Question 7) from Bad Ischl, how do we catch the train to Hallstatt?

Question 8) do I need to make reservation for the train from Bad Ischl to Hallstatt?

Question 9) How do I pay for it?

Question 10) is bus as on-time, reliable as the train?

I know... I am lame..for one leg of the trip I already have 10 questions...

Option 2 is by train...

I went to Oebb.at, tried to book the ticket (and see)...

Question 1) is Attnang-Puchheim small enough for us to find the transit train?

Question 2) Train from Attnang-Puchheim to Hallstatt has no reservations... any concerns? Do I just jump on the train and find any open seat?

Sorry for so many questions... but this would really help me understand what to expect on that day :)

Thank you all in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Salzburg to Hallstatt

Glad you enjoyed your trip. :-)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Salzburg to Hallstatt

We are planning on this same trip in September - can you tell me what it costs exactly for the round trip from Salzburg to Bad Ischl and then from Bad Ischl to Hallstatt. Any other tips you have for me would also be appreciated since you have done the trip.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Salzburg to Hallstatt

This should help

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g190441-c194495/Sal…

Any questions please ask

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Salzburg to Hallstatt

Yes, that is perfect! All the information I need. Thank you so much!

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
241 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Salzburg to Hallstatt

This thread is so helpful and detailed Mikey and Staf. We aren't taking this trip until next year but I'm bookmarking this excellent information.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Salzburg to Hallstatt

HI! I am going to be doing this same journey in August. I was wondering how much time is needed in Hallstat and how much time is needed in Bad Ischl. Can I do both in the same day? How much was the return ticket? Thanks!

Vigo, Spain
Level Contributor
11,810 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Salzburg to Hallstatt

Hi gabs227870,

Regarding "How much was the return ticket?" you'll find information about travel options, travel cost and average travel times in the link provided in answer #13.

About the time you'll need in both places it depends on your interests there... IMO a full day in Halsstatt is requiered when travelling from Salzburg returning the same day... Hallstatt by itself it's not a very big village but the sceneries are stunning from all over the place... You could visit the salt mines or even go to Obertraun to visit the Five Fingers (breathtaking experience) and the ice caves... You could also consider a visit to the historic town of Bad Ischl when you return to Salzburg if you have time and it's not too late...

Edited: 5:33 am, June 23, 2013
Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Salzburg to Hallstatt

Hallstatt is a 6 hour round trip on public transport so you need to spend as long as you can there.

Costs are in the guide I created link in #13

Post #17

I agree you need a day especially if you are doing the salt mine or going to Obertraun for the 5 fingers Ice cave.

If you really want to do the 5 fingers or Ice cave I would recommend getting to Hallstatt early and spending morning there and have lunch (Best photos in the morning). Then get the bus to the cable car station in Obertraun that takes you up to the caves/5 fingers. You could then get the bus to the Railway station in Obertraun and travel back to Salzburg from there.

You could go into Bad Ischl on the way back for dinner then get late trains back to Salzburg.

To make it easier you may want to consider basing yourself in Bad Ischl for a couple of days.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Salzburg to Hallstatt

Hi! Thanks for the useful information. This trip to Hallstat is becoming my nightmare in that it is just so out of the way. We have an apartment in Salzburg so we wont be spending the night in other places. I was hoping to combine Bad Ischl with Hallstat or with the boat trips on St Gilgen. Is Hallstat a must see? I am not sure if my mom will be interested in the salt mines although everyone seems to say they are a must see. I want to make sure we see the beautiful sights around Salzburg but I dont want to waste all our time on trains and buses either.

Vigo, Spain
Level Contributor
11,810 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Salzburg to Hallstatt

The salt mines may be not a must see, but Hallstatt it is. The sceneries are simply stunning. If you don't want to waste time in the salt mines (although the views from the top of the cable car are amazing) nor in Obertraun (Five Fingers and ice caves), you could wake up early, go to Hallstatt and spend the morning walking through the village, have lunch there in any place overlooking the lake (Hallstätter See) and return to Bad Ischl to spend the evening there.

I am sure that you have probably seen this picture somewhere... …wikimedia.org/wikipedia/…Hallstatt_300.jpg

Edited: 10:39 am, June 23, 2013