We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Munich to Salzburg

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
46 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Munich to Salzburg

We will be flying from Cork to Munich and then doing the train from Munich to Salzburg. When looking to book on OBB for May travel there says there are only a few seats left on certain trains. I am concerned because we will not be able to finalize plans until the first of March. If I wait, will there not be seats available or do they add trains? Our flight gets in Munich around 1400 so then was thinking the train to Salzburg around 1500. Will this give us enough time? Can anyone help with this? Thanks so much in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
151 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,299 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Munich to Salzburg

In my personal opinion, you should allow more than one hour. Consider that you will be arriving at 2pm at Munich, then collecting your luggage etc., so best case scenario would be 2:30 or 2:45pm. Then add to that the journey to the main station outlined below.

If you are not planning to take the S-Bahn from the airport to the main station (Munich Hauptbahnhof)

mvv-muenchen.de/static_languages/…

then I would suggest you take the Airport bus, timetable below:

airportbus-muenchen.de/cms/…

(this is a 40 minutes journey)

What if your flight is delayed?

You are saying there were a few seats left on the train. The explanation is you are probably looking at a few discounted seats on the train. They put up a few discounted seats, and as the travel date comes closer, the price will go up until on the day of travel, the price will be the full standard fare. Does this make sense?

I would advise you to book on www.dbahn.de for this journey anyway, not on OEBB. The discounted price for this sector is € 19 for the Railjet train, normal price is € 34, and tickets will not be sold out

Edited: 3:10 pm, February 23, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,800 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Munich to Salzburg

Tickets cannot sell out, and there is no need to book this on-line (in fact it is impossible for the regional trains) - for this journey you will need a Bayern Ticket which costs €29 on the day from an electronic machine at the airport and can be used for up to 5 passengers on regional trains (not the rail jet/Eurocity trains which are only about 7 minutes faster anyway and cost a lot more).

There are trains every hour - get the S-Bahn from the airport to Muenchen - Ost and then change to the regional train to Salzburg there. No need to go all the way to the Hauptbahnhof (main station), or get a bus. The whole journey takes about 2.5 hours.

For times see http://www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml , and you want the ones which say 'S, RE' under the 'products' heading - enter Munich airport as the departure point.

Edited: 3:17 pm, February 23, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Munich to Salzburg

GCEK is absolutely correct. I do this all the time.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
46 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Munich to Salzburg

You guys are wonderful. I was getting worried about planning aspects of our trip and what to do if the train sells out. Now that makes perfect sense that it was the discounted fares. I don't know why I didn't think of that. My college dgt is going on the trip with us unless she gets a certain summer job. If she does we have to postpone the trip. She will find out about the job around March 1st. So we have to wait another week or so to find out if we are for sure going. And to add another question, what if we go from Munich to Innsbruck instead, does this change in terms of the availability of the trains? Thanks again for all of your help.

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Innsbruck
Innsbruck
Tirol, Austria
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,800 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Munich to Salzburg

No train can sell out, that is impossible, just the discounted tickets, and on the Munich to Salzburg route the regional trains are local commuter-type trains that cannot be reserved or pre-booked anyway as there is no point.

If you want to go straight to Innsbruck instead, bypassing Salzburg, then go to reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query2.exe/en? , choose Munich airport to Innsbruck and tickets cost from €19 with one change at Munich Hauptbahnhof or with one change in Muenchen - Ost. If you buy the ticket on the day as it costs about €45,00

But if you want to buy this ticket at the best price, best to do it early as they sell out quickly.

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Innsbruck
Innsbruck
Tirol, Austria
Munich Airport
Munich Airport
Hallbergmoos, Germany
Hotel Muenchen Palace
Hotel Muenchen Palace
784 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
321 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Munich to Salzburg

Hi GCEK, your reply to this post is very helpful to me, as I will be doing the same train trip in late June. Flying into Munich & will want to train it to Salzburg on the same day, returning to Munich 4 days later to spend a few days there. My question is - is there a cheaper alternative to the Bayern ticket, as I will be travelling solo - so have no use for a ticket for 5 people. Is it possible to buy a return ticket to be used 4 days apart?

Cheers,

Judi

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,800 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Munich to Salzburg

There is a single Bayern ticket which costs €21 and you can use it from the airport - S-Bahn to Muenchen Ost and then regional train from there to Salzburg as above).

The return ticket will cost the same. of course if you can find other people on your flight who are doing something similar, you can team up!

Mentioned in this post
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
14,260 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Munich to Salzburg

When on your own it is basically a toss-up

The Bayern Ticket single is €21 which is the same price as the "Sparangebot" single ticket using the S-Bahn from the Airport to Munich Ost and the same Regional train.

The absolute cheapests ticket is €19 an advance booking/purchase of a ticket from Munich Airport to Salzburg but getting the slightly faster EC/RAILJET.

But you are stuck on that specifc service at that specifc time and if you are delayed the ticket is useless - all for €2

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
321 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Munich to Salzburg

Thanks GCEK - I'll keep an ear out on my flight for anyone else travelling to Salzburg - it would only need one more person to make it worthwhile buying. And I agree with Giftzwerg, a saving of 2 euro is not worth the stress of missing that particular train the ticket is for. Besides, I won't be in any hurry, & would prefer the slower train to take in the scenery.

Thank you both of you for your advice.

Judi

Mentioned in this post
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
South Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Munich to Salzburg

Hi,

Thankyou for such helpful information.

Just checking that I have understood correctly....the Bayern Ticket you mention - Do we purchase just the one ticket for our family of 4 for the one price? Does it just cover one trip or the whole day for multi trips? Will it cover the return trip from Salzburg or do we need to buy a second Bayern Ticket? We are interested in goin to Salzburg from Munich return in just one day.

Mentioned in this post
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Reply to: Train from Munich to Salzburg
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted