We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salzburg for a day from Munich

new york
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Salzburg for a day from Munich

We will be in Munich for 3 days the end of July and want to take a day trip to Salzburg- I have heard there is a boat trip that stops at different towns? My mother-in-law insists this is what she did- I have't found one -only the Panorama boat/bus tour. Any suggestions on what to do to make the most of the day- we plan on taking an early train out of Munich and spending the day. There will be 4 of us- 2 teens 16 & 18- Sound of Music isn't their thing!

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salzburg for a day from Munich

Take a trip up to the Hohensalzburg Fortress. The views are amazing not only of the old city but if you go to the south side terraces the views of the mountatins are breathtaking. There are restaurants up there too.

Some people love to take the little boat which goes up and down the river but this might be restricting if you're short of time. The shops in Getreidegasse are interesting for teens. You can't go far wrong just wandering around the old city.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,080 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salzburg for a day from Munich

July would be a good time – longer day due to later sunset.

For train travel from Münich Hbf to Salzburg, you will save a lot of $’s if you use the Bayern-Ticket. For just 26 €, it is valid for travel of up to 5 persons on the local RE and RB trains after 09:00 and until 03:00 the next day. Same tracks, just more stops – about 30 minutes longer travel time. Information about this ticket is at bahn.de/-S:PtVORd:d9E-jtNNYyadcNNNNPIM/p/vie…

Use the DB website to search train schedules. http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Enter From: Munich To: Salzburg Time: 09.00 and change “Means of transport” to ‘only local transport’. The train fare on the IC or EC trains would be 26.00 € for each person and each way. For your family that would be a normal fare of 208 € versus just 26 € when using the Bayern-Ticket. A savings of 182 €.

You are most welcome. Just be sure to use the RE/RB trains. I wish we had known this when we did our 1st day trip to Salzburg.

Greensboro
Level Contributor
1 post
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salzburg for a day from Munich

You MUST go to Tomaselli's a very beautiful cafe on Mozart Place. The pastries are gorgeous. You and the teens will love it. we went August 2005 when we were in town.

new york
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salzburg for a day from Munich

Thank you so much for the advice. Do we need a "tour" of Salzburg or can we just walk around and take it all in? There aren't any historic attractions I'm dying to see- just the quaintness of a beautiful city. Is a tour bus that much quicker?

new york
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salzburg for a day from Munich

Dougb328

Thank you so much for that info. That is quite a savings and with the teens I doubt we would be up and out before 9am! I am leaning towards staying at the Mercure Altstadt-looks nice and good location. My son is a big history buff and is actually taking a course this spring on the Holocaust- he would like to see Dachau- perhaps Eagles Nest also- are these worth it? I would love to go to Rothenburg for an afternoon- I have heard it is wonderful- alas we only have 3 full days before we go home. What to do?

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salzburg for a day from Munich

Tomaselli's is nice - but for a cheaper cafe with the most gorgeous cakes and ice cream, try Cafe Habbakuk on the Linzergasse (on the new-town side of the river, just a short walk up from the river). They do wonderful icecream sundaes - try the Mozart Ball sundae, or the one with hot forest berries - mmm! Their handmade chocolate Mozart balls (Mozartkugeln) are the best in town - much nicer than the mass-produced ones you get in the supermarket.

Another nice thing for a sunny day in Salzburg is a walk over the Monschberg, the mountain on which the fortress is built. On a hot day it's lovely to walk through the forest there, so close to the city but it feels like you're right out in the woods. You can combine this with a trip to the Fortress if you leave on foot rather than via the little railway - the fortress gate leads out onto the mountain and you can walk along it as far as the museum of modern art and catch the lift down through the mountain back to the old town below (take a map with you - it's a small mountain but I still manage to get lost on it!) I would suggest taking the railway *up* to the Fortress - it's a really steep climb there, especially on a hot day. But the views are spectacular, and the fortress is fascinating, so definitely worth making that your first port of call.

R

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Salzburg for a day from Munich

Isn't Tomaselli on Altermarkt? The cafe in Mozartplatz is Glockenspiel.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,080 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Salzburg for a day from Munich

The website for Dachau is kz-gedenkstaette-dachau.de/englisch/content/…

It is free and easy to get to by S-2 Bahn and Bus 726. Use the all zones MVV Partner Day Ticket [Tageskarte]. Up to 5 people, 16 € for travel all day. mvv-muenchen.de/en/…index.html

The website for the Eagles Nest is http://www.kehlsteinhaus.de/index2_e.htm

At the DB train website it would be From: München Hbf To: Kehlstein Busabfahrt, Berchtesgaden. Again you could go to there using the Bayern Ticket and search schedules by using the “only local transport” option.

Visiting Rothenburg would be closer to an all day trip and can be done using the Bayern-Ticket. From: München Hbf To: Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Garmish or the Royal Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein Castles would be day trips possible with the Bayern-Ticket. http://www.hohenschwangau.de/index.php?id=430

As you are beginning to see there are many sights to see in Münich and even many more possible day trips. That is why we have made 2 visits of 4 or more days each and are now planning to visit the Christkindlmarkts [Christmas Markets] in Münich, Nürnberg and Rothenburg this year. However, a day trip to Salzburg should remain as one of the destinations for your first trip.

A download pdf for the Bayern-Ticket is at bahn.de/-S:PtVOR9:dC1IPdNNo6q5h9NNNcEM/regio…

Salzburg
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Salzburg for a day from Munich

Salzburg day trip - great! Take the train from Munich and just walk about town. Your day will be flying by. Enjoy some nice lunch, walk through the "old town" (left bank of the river) then across to "new town" (right bank).

Don't want the Sound Of Music? Fine. Salzburg has so much more to offer and its all yours just for taking a walk!

Please say hello to your in-law: no boat ride to Salzburg. I know. Have lived here all my life.

new york
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Salzburg for a day from Munich

I know it is crazy replying to my own post but we just returned and I wanted to share what I learned. A daytrip to Salzburg was wonderful. We took the Greyline tour from Munich-however- we didn't realize the tour ended when we got off the bus. No tour guides from outside Salzburg can take you on a tour inside Salzburg. Our "tour"guide walked us to the meeting point and told us to meet him back in 3 hrs. He had explained some of what was in Salzburg on the bus ride. We then met back after 3 hrs and took a 1hr beautiful ride to the lake district. We toured a beautiful little town and hopped on a boat for a cruise down the lake. We then got back in the bus and drove home. We left Munich at 8:30. Our bus broke down at 9:15 and a new bus picked us up at 9:45. The new bus had bathroom facilities that hadn't been cleaned out from the night before and it was "full to capacity"-if you know what I mean. That made for a difficult journey. I only recommend this tour becuase it is the easiest way to get to see the lake district- as far as actual tours go- we felt like we were racing around Salzburg trying to see everything and eat lunch in 3 hrs.! More time in Salzburg or the Lake district towns(st. Gilgen) would have been appreciated. Our tour guide was just OK- a young guy with an attitude and not much knowledge other than what he had written down on index cards.