We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels near the University of Salzburg

Ohio
8 posts
Hotels near the University of Salzburg

I am going to visit Salzburg and I need a hotel that would be within walking distance to the University or on the campus of the University of Salzburg

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
194 reviews
1. Re: Hotels near the University of Salzburg

Salzburg is very compact and walkable and the university is in the heart of the old town, so pretty much any hotel in the center which is within walking distance of the main attractions should be fine for easy access to the university. Just check out which building of the university you'll need to go to as some departments might be spread across the old town or even beyond. I don't think there is something like a campus where all departments anf acilities are located.

Ohio
8 posts
2. Re: Hotels near the University of Salzburg

Thank you for your response. This is the address of where I need to be close to: (Robert-Preusslerstrasse 28 ) Can you help me out with any hotel names in that area.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
194 reviews
3. Re: Hotels near the University of Salzburg

This is actually the address of a dorm called Internationales Kolleg Salzburg which is quite far out of the city center in a commercial neighbourhood. Maybe you can stay at this dorm for a good price?

Amadé hotel Salzburg would be nearby.

http://www.amadehotel.at/eng

Ohio
8 posts
4. Re: Hotels near the University of Salzburg

My son is studying aboard and he is staying in that dorm. I don't think he will want me to stay in the dorm. I'll check out the hotel you mentioned is there any other ones nearby? You've been a great help. Thank you for all your info How far from the dorm is the hotel you mentioned?

Edited: 8:24 pm, March 21, 2010
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
194 reviews
5. Re: Hotels near the University of Salzburg

Now I see! The hotel I mentioned is within walking distance of the dorm (just a few hundred metres). I don't know if it's a good hotel, it seems to cater for business events mainly.

Also, the area doesn't look very appealing for a visitor (commercial neighbourhood/outskirts) and I'm sure your son will be very used to getting to the city center by bike or public transport (which is very efficient in Salzburg and it's a very compact town), so I'd consider staying in the historic center where you have a big choice of various hotels in all categories and you don't need to make the trip there every day.

Beware: in late July and August, when the Salzburg festival is going on, prices of rooms go up significantly. On the other side, before or after that season, you can make very good deals shopping around for good room-rates online.

Ohio
8 posts
6. Re: Hotels near the University of Salzburg

Sorry I was a little vague. I want to visit my son around the first of May. Can you suggest a hotel for me. You are probably right, I should stay where there is more things going on. I guess I was just thinking if I stayed close to his dorm it would be more convenient for visiting with him. Since I've never been to Salzburg I can't really picture the layout or even the area when my son is staying. I guess I would like a hotel in the direction of where he is staying but yet close to other things to do. Does that make any sense?

Thank you.

vienna
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
7. Re: Hotels near the University of Salzburg

Why not ask your son for recommendations ? He must know the area where he resides and also the area of his classes.

The university is without what you would know as a regular campus and has numerous buildings throughout the city offering various studies.

Many are held in the " Old Town " area and this is probably the most convenient for you too with sightseeing restaurants etc.

Ohio
8 posts
8. Re: Hotels near the University of Salzburg

My son hasn't arrived in Salzburg yet. He will be there on Friday March 26. I would like to get my flight booked as well as the hotel and also getting information out of son is not the easiest.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
194 reviews
9. Re: Hotels near the University of Salzburg

Honestly, I don't think there is much to do near the dorm except for travelling to the city centre, which is probably very easy and quick by bike or public transport, especially for your son as he'll be used to that trip to go to university daily.

Therefore, I suggest you look for some accomodation in the (very compact) city center, possibly rather on the side of the dorm (South-East). There are many options for you and in early May, even the best hotels may have very good rates. So please provide info on your price range.

Also, how long are you staying, which means of transport will you be using and are you planning to do anything else except for seeing the city center (trips to mountains, lakes etc)? I am asking this because you might want to look for a hotel with good connection to the railway station if you're using public transport or, if you'll rent a car, a hotel with a car-park.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
194 reviews
10. Re: Hotels near the University of Salzburg

One hotel closer to the center and on the same bus-route which goes to the dorm is Castellani Parkhotel.

http://www.hotel-castellani.com/en/home/

However, it might be more comfortable to stay really in the center, because if you stay in Castellani, your son will have to take the bus to meet you and then it's still probably a bit too far to walk so you'll both have to get on the same bus again. If you stay in the center, your son will just stay in the same bus for two more stations (or actually come by bike which seems to be very popular to get from that dorm to the university to the center).