We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

salzburg airport to city centre

London, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
salzburg airport to city centre

hi there just wanted to know whats the fastest and/or cheapest way to travel from the airport to the city centre? or if its too far, what is there to visit near salzburg airport? names and approx prices will be great thanks im enjoying these cheap flights from ryanair!!!!

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: salzburg airport to city centre

Hello, just booked our next Ryanair flights too!

Salzburg is a small city and the airport is on the outskirts. By taxi to the centre would take about ten minues. By bus (No. 2) it will take fifteen to twenty depending on where you want to be. The bus will obviously be cheaper €1.80, but the taxi drivers do not rip you off. I haven't done a journey from the airport to the centre but to our hotel in the suburbs (much further than the centre) a taxi costs €18. I'd say between €8 - €10 into town. Both the buses and taxis are right outside the arrivals hall.

There is not much to visit close to the airport itself apart from the shopping mall and Hangar 7. With all the glories of the old city I wouldn't bother going to the mall which is just like any other. Hangar 7 is an aircraft museum owned by a very rich Salzburger and is right beside the runway. It's free to go in and very interesting. There is a great cafe and restaurant there too.

In the old city itself the fortress is a must see. All the tourist sights are very close together so it's easy to go from one to the other.

Please ask if you have any other questions.

London, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: salzburg airport to city centre

thats great help thanks. was looking into visiting salzburg for the day so thats why i was asking about anything near the airport in case the centres too far (knowing ryanair airports they do tend to be far away!!!) but if buses take less than half an hour thats fine by us, still gives us lots of time to look around. how big is the centre, is it seeable in a few hours? could you suggest anywhere nice to see/do? my gf likes history and pretty places to tak pictues!!! i like good food places, but not necessarily expensive places. what do you suggest???

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: salzburg airport to city centre

Hello, again,

You need to make sure you ask for "Zentrum" when you're on the bus. The No.2 takes you to the main train station which is a good walk (or another bus ride from the old town, so you may need to change buses on the way. A taxi would take you straight there in ten minutes. The part of town you're aiming for is below the fortress. This is where the cathedral and all the lovely baroque buildings and squares are situated. All the sights are very close together (Mozart's birthplace, the cathedral, Residenz building, St Peter's cemetery (well worth visiting) and other churches. Nonnberg Abbey is on the hill close to the fortress and is well signposted. You could see all the main sights in a day and also go across the river to see Mirabelgarten. The fortress is great. It's like another world up there as the architecture is centuries earlier than the town below.

A nice place to eat if you don't want to break the bank is Da Pippo on Altermarkt. It's on the first floor with windows looking out over the square. Stieglkeller, just below the fortress, is also good especially if you're big meat eaters. A drink in the courtyard of Stiftskeller St Peter is interesting too. The restaurant is the oldest in Europe (803) and is quite expensive but a drink in the courtyard, which is hewn out of the rock, is worth doing.

If you're up on the fortress there's a nice restaurant up there. You turn right when you come out of the Funicular and it's there on the right. Lovely views from the windows.

If you're viewing a lot of the sights it would be a good idea to buy a Salzburg card which gives free entrance for one person to all the sights and also free travel on the buses. I imagine you can buy them at the airport.

4. Re: salzburg airport to city centre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, October 15, 2009