We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I use a OBB electronic train ticket

Cary, NC
Level Contributor
1 post
32 reviews
How do I use a OBB electronic train ticket

for my upcoming Austrian trip, I purchased an electronic ticket from OBB. How do I use it? Are there bar code scanners at the gates?

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,887 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: How do I use a OBB electronic train ticket

>How do I use it?

You print it out and show it to the conductor.

>Are there bar code scanners at the gates?

What gates?

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: How do I use a OBB electronic train ticket

In general, there's no use to buy online-tickets as they are only valid for one or 2 days and often not refundable.

Trains in Austria (except the trains to Italy) can never sell out as they don't require any reservation.

The online ticket is used by people who don't want to deal with ticket machines, wait at the ticket offices. Also many companies use it as it's easier to handle than a printed ticket.

What you have to do?

Nothing... you board the train, choose the seats you like (or if you reserved seats then you choose them). When the conductor comes to check the tickets you give him the sheet of paper... sometimes they also require an ID or so.

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: How do I use a OBB electronic train ticket

Or did you mean a mobile-phone electronic ticket? But I don't think that it works with mobile phones from abroad and the ticket can't be bought long in advance.

4. Re: How do I use a OBB electronic train ticket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, October 11, 2009