We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What restaurant for a romantic meal prior to a Festival...

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
What restaurant for a romantic meal prior to a Festival...

On August 19th I plan to propose to my girlfriend in Salzburg on the 2 year anniversary of our going out.

We shall be going out for a meal in the evening and then onto a concert in the Felsenreitschule at 8.00pm.

Can anyone please suggest a nice restaurant fairly close to the Festival Halls that would be a lovely remantic prelude to the concert, but which starts serving early enough (say, 6) for us to get in and out before the concert starts?

Thanks

Steve

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What restaurant for a romantic meal prior to a Festival...

Hiya! Just got back from Salzburg and I sincerely hope you have cooler weather when you are there - it was over 38 degrees a couple of days and there's nothing romantic about dripping with sweat, ack!

As a suggestion for a meal ... it aint haute cuisine but I really enjoyed dining out in the garden at the Sternbrau, just off the Getreidegasse so very central. And they serve food pretty much all day (I went at about 5.30 cos I had a plane to catch). I sat in a big courtyard under the chestnut trees, not too close to other diners, and had a very relaxed meal in quiet surroundings. Considering it was a Saturday night I was surprised how peaceful it was.

My other favourite place in Salzburg tho I dunno what it is like in the evening is the Terrace cafe of the Hotel Stein. You go into the hotel and take the lift to the 7th floor and you end up on this big terrace looking out over the river towards the fortress - best views in all Salzburg (will try to post some pictures sometime). They do lighter meals (nice salads and things for hot nights) and lovely icecream as well as all the usual drinks and cocktails one would expect in a bar. That is very romantic for the view alone with nice comfy chairs and good service. I didn't get the impression it gets too busy but you mgiht want to investigate that for yourself.

Hope you enjoy yourselves! Watch out for those jewellery shops, they're lethal. Which opera are you going to? I went to Mitridate on Thursday night and it was great - lovely music and a really fun set and staging. The programme seems really good this year; I enjoyed it very much.

r

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What restaurant for a romantic meal prior to a Festival...

Thanks Roley - that place you just described on the 7th floor: would that give us enough time to walk to the Felsenreitschule for 8?

We are going to see a classical concert (Schumann). Do you know if the Felsenreitschule still looks anything like what it did in The Sound of Music? (I think I have heard there is a roof on it now?)

Thanks

Steve

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What restaurant for a romantic meal prior to a Festival...

I think you'd have tons of time - the Hotel Stein is on the corner of the Linzergasse, right next to the Staatbrucke. From there I think it would take you at most 15 minutes to mooch very slowly indeed to the Felsenreitschule (you would just need to cross the bridge, go thru the square there whose name I forget, across the Getreidegasse, up the Sigmundhaffnergasse, turn right and you're kind of there.

To give you an idea ... I was a ways further up the Linzergasse, looked at my watch and screeched as I had half an hour to reach an office on the Kapitelplatz behind the Dom before it closed. I went off like a guided missile and walked it in less than 10 minutes - and that's further than the Felsenreitschule.

I've not been inside the Reitschule but I've seen it on the telly when they were reviewing an opera performed this year and it looks more or less like in the SOM - with the Reitschule arches. The seats look kind of weird, like a lecture theatre. I think the roof is just as well as it does toss down rain in Salzburg quite often! They put a roof on the Residenzhof where I went to the opera and the Kurier review joked that it was a "Mozartsauna" - it sure was! One guy even passed out from the heat! (you are permitted to remove your jacket, btw!)

And FYI the Hotel Stein bar is open daily 9am-midnight. I've done a review with some pictures so that might appear on this site in a day or so. The pictures are somewhat wonky cos the sun was so bright it was hard to use the camera!

rol, back in grey gloom and quite liking it!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
192 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What restaurant for a romantic meal prior to a Festival...

Hi. I lived in Salzburg for a few months, and I have two recommendations. The first is St. Peter Stiftskeller (www.haslauer.at). It's very nice and more intimate than Sternbrau. They have one dining room that is in the wine celler - really romantic. My husband took me there for my birthday and it was lovely. They are open from 11 am - midnight. I would advise having your hotel call and make you reservations for a more private table so you don't get stuck with a table in the middle of the restaurant. St. Peter's is very close to the Festival Hall. The rates are a little more on the high end but still reasonable.

Another is one that I personally have not dined at but was recommended to me is Restaurant Goldener Hirsch. It's part of the Goldener Hirsch hotel, the nicest hotel in Salzburg. If you really want to impress, this is the place to go. They begin serving dinner at 6:30 pm. It's really gourmet and will be more expensive that St. Peter. This hotel is on Getreidegasse, the main shopping street, and is also close to the Festival Hall.

Good luck! Have a great time!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What restaurant for a romantic meal prior to a Festival...

Thanks Katze - will also look into the St Peter one. I think the Goldener Hirsch is maybe TOO posh for us!

Thanks again

Steve

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What restaurant for a romantic meal prior to a Festival...

Katze - I have now checked out the website and am sure the St Peter Stiftkellarplace will now be the one!!! A big bonus for me is that they have a .pdf of the menu in English!!!

Can you tell me what you had on the menu and if you recommend it?!!!

Oh...one more question.....we get to Salzburg on the Wednesday and would need this meal on the Friday night. Would that be enough time for my hotel to book us during Festival Season or do you think I should book now (with VERY limited German skills)

Thanks again

Steve

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
192 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What restaurant for a romantic meal prior to a Festival...

Steve,

Hi. Austrians typically eat dinner later. The busiest times in restaurants are around 8:00 pm, so I think Wednesday would be enough time to make a reservation for Friday since you want an early reservation. I've never been there during the festival season though. Tell the hotel staff who'll call and make the reservation that it's a special occasion and you need a more private table. :-)

I've had Wiener Schnitzel and the Goulash at St Peter and both were very good. Weiner Schnitzel is a very traditional dish - very hearty meat and potatoes. The apple strudel is excellent too. My husband and I split a bottle of wine and enjoyed being "toasty" together. The waiter can recommed a good bottle if you want one.

Little beverage tip: If you want water in a restaurant, you will need to specify that you want still water or they will bring you carbonated water. Also, they don't really do tap water - they think it's gross. Their tap water is safe to drink, but Salzburgers drink bottled water almost exclusively.

By the way, most people in Salzburg speak English very well. They are used to American tourists who don't speak any German. They appreciate it when you try though. Danke (thank you), bitte (please), ja (yes) nein (no).

Have fun!