We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salzburg to zurich via train during xmas

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
55 posts
22 reviews
15 helpful votes
Salzburg to zurich via train during xmas

I would like to know if the trains are crowded during xmas period (23 to 25 dec)?

4 replies to this topic
Vienna
Level Contributor
4,382 posts
1. Re: Salzburg to zurich via train during xmas

Hi! It is a very popular travel time, so please do the reservation with seat reservation in advance. Best regards

Linz, Austria
Level Contributor
3,493 posts
2. Re: Salzburg to zurich via train during xmas

Yep, a seat reservation only costs 3 euros

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
55 posts
22 reviews
15 helpful votes
3. Re: Salzburg to zurich via train during xmas

Thanks! Of the 3 days (23/24/25) which day is actually least crowded?

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
29,289 posts
29 reviews
175 helpful votes
4. Re: Salzburg to zurich via train during xmas

Trains are only crowded the days before the 24th of December because many people travel home from the larger cities to their home states during this period.

On the 24th and 25th there won't be any crowded trains, although there might be a few more passengers before noon on the 24th, also because this day legally is a working day, but the masses will have traveled home on the weekend before (because most employees do not have to work).

Personally, I think that the 19th (Thurday), 20th (Friday) and the 21st (Saturday) of December are the busiest days before Christmas.

Many employees - like me - will have taken off the 23rd this year (2019) because it is not expected to return to work for just one day. And that means that a lot of people leave the cities on one of the last working days, which are the day mentioned above.

An evening train of the 24th will be fairly empty.

Edited: 7:31 am, May 15, 2019
Reply to: Salzburg to zurich via train during xmas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted