We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 nights in the Salzkammergut in February 2018

Jurong, Singapore
Level Contributor
365 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
3 nights in the Salzkammergut in February 2018

We will based ourselves at St Gilgen without a car.

First day will travel from Salzburg to St Gilgen check in our accomodation and visit surrounding and Zwolferhorn.

Second day visit to Hallstatt and Bad Ischl (should I visit hallstatt first and bad ischl later at night?)

Third day I cannot make up my mind where to visit. Since everywhere is so beautiful. Wish to do some sledging/Tobogganing activities. I saw Faistenau is nearby St gilgen. Is the Langlauflopien Faistenau a good place to spend a day?

9 replies to this topic
Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
4,380 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 nights in the Salzkammergut in February 2018

Unless you are into cross country skiing the there is no pint in going to Langlauflopien Faistenau.

Take the bus to Gosau and hire a toboggan or watch the skiers from a cosy hut if you want a 'winter' experience.

Hallstatt will only take a few hours so go there earlier in the day and maybe Bad Ischl in the afternoon with a meal or coffee and cake in Zauners.

Vienna
Level Contributor
3,765 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 nights in the Salzkammergut in February 2018

Dear Jess,

I would personally spend one day in Hallstatt and one day in Bad Ischl, you'll not regret spending a day and night there.

Do you know this website? Langlauflopien Faistenau www.langlaufdorf.at/en

Best regards, Romana

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
25,494 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 nights in the Salzkammergut in February 2018

if there is good snow, you can toboggan in st gilgen. there is a slope with a ski tow in the village. but otherwise, as in #1, go to gosau which has a fun area for snow activities.

faistenau is not an easy place to get to and not all that exciting.

i disagree with romana above. there is no point in staying a night in either hallstatt or bad ischl. if you are going to hallstatt, you can also visit the 5 fingers where there will be plenty of snow. but hallstatt and 5 fingers can be done in a day as the village is very small and quickly seen and enjoyed.

you could of course stop in bad ischl on the way back, but if you have a day to spare, you could take the bus into bad ischl and spend some time there. on your way back to st gilgen, you could get the 546 bus to st wolfgang direct and then back to st gilgen. the return journey on the 546 stops in strobl where you can rejoin the 150 back to st gilgen

Jurong, Singapore
Level Contributor
365 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 nights in the Salzkammergut in February 2018

Gosau is nearby to Hallstatt? Can I do Gosau and hallstatt together if I depart early? May I know the name of the ski resort?

I thought of exploring other parts of Salzkammergut on the last day rather to travel to bad ischl again. Any recommendations? Hiking is also my interest.

Thanks!

Edited: 12:46 pm, October 12, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
25,494 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 nights in the Salzkammergut in February 2018

yes, godau is close to hallstatt, and you could do both if you get to hallstatt early. gosau is the actual name of the ski resort, but many non skiers go a few kms further on to the gosausee, a lake above the village, with great views of the dachstein glacier.

to get to gosau from hallstatt......take the 543 bus to the bottom of the lake (gosaumuhl) that is the last stop for the 543. the 542 to gosau will be waiting. it actuall continues to the gosausee. from gosau, you can get the 542 all the way back to bad ischl and then the 150 to st gilgen

if you are stopping in gosau for tobogganing, you wont have enough time to get to gosausee as buses only run hourly

Jurong, Singapore
Level Contributor
365 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 nights in the Salzkammergut in February 2018

If i dont do tobogganing in gosau is there anywhere i can do it in Salzkammergut?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
25,494 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 nights in the Salzkammergut in February 2018

as i said earlier, if there is snow, you can toboggan in st gilgen.

Jurong, Singapore
Level Contributor
365 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 nights in the Salzkammergut in February 2018

Ok! If i would like to do some hiking as well?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
25,494 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 nights in the Salzkammergut in February 2018

plenty of low level and flat walks around the lakes. if no snow, you can venture a little higher.

Reply to: 3 nights in the Salzkammergut in February 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted