We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villach Hbf-Train from Bled connection with bus to Venice

Which Villach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
260 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Villach Hbf-Train from Bled connection with bus to Venice

Hi there. I need help with information about connecting train and bus at Villach.

I plan to take a train from Bled that arrives 6 minutes before a connecting bus to Venice at Villach Hbf. Apparently I can buy a ticket at Bled that includes the bus trip as well as the train.

My questions are these:

1. Is 6 minutes sufficient time to get the connecting bus at Villach Hbf (Bussteige 1-4)?

2. If the train is running late will the bus wait for passengers who have already paid for their ticket as I don't know whether the train is a Slovenian train or an Austrian train (departs Lesce Bled at 9.54 and arrives Villach at 10.49 on a Sunday) so am unfamiliar with the eficiency of the trains for either country

3. If no one really knows this answer is there a contact at Villach Hbf that I can use?

Other services and connections will add about another 4-6 hours to my journey.

thank you very much.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,248 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villach Hbf-Train from Bled connection with bus to Venice

Very difficult.

I would contact the Austrian National rail directly first of all www.oebb.at

What is for sure is that for the bus service from Villach to Venice the booking of seats is compulsory (after all it is only a bus). Whether or not this helps in the fact that you have a seat personally booked is another matter.

You do know that there is another option where you go via Nova Gorica/Gorizia Centrale. There are direct trains to Nova Gorica from Bled and direct trains from Gorizia to Venice - only problem is you have to get transport across the border from Nova Gorica train station to Gorizia (local train or bus) - it is a 40min walk.

Nova Gorica rail station is right at the border. The number 1 bus goes from just outside the station (Nova Gorica train station is on the border) on the Via Giuseppe Caprin to the Gorizia Centrale train station. Bus runs every 10 mins journey takes 13mins.

Probably have to buy a ticket from the local Tabacchi

use www.oebb.at to check train times along with www.trenitalia.com to confirm services

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,507 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Villach Hbf-Train from Bled connection with bus to Venice

Ad 1) If you arrive on time, then the transition should work out perfectly (but I'd try to rush though).

Ad 2) Basically, a train becomes an Austrian one regardless which operator provides the rolling stock. I do not exactly know which station is the border station but I think it is at the Austrian end of the Karawanken Railway Tunnel. There, the staff completely changes. The engineer has to be exchanged because of the different track supervision systems and the different languages. In case a service is delayed or is assumed to become delayed, contacting a train attendant is always important. Train attendant have some "power" to hold other trains back for a few minutes in order to enable changes. Whether it works between trains and buses can't be said.

Ad 3) You can always contact ÖBB Customer Service but they won't help you either. Basically, if you miss the bus, then you are entitled to take the next one (if there is one at all).

Denton, TX
Level Contributor
56 posts
562 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Villach Hbf-Train from Bled connection with bus to Venice

A related question, please. I have located a map of the Villach station:

…oebb.at/img/…Lageplan_8100147.pdf

Do the buses and trains use the same station? It appears in the drawing that the buses might be loading and unloading passengers on the Bahnhofplatz. One of the buildings appears to indicate that it is for Intercity buses along with Regional buses. Am I assuming correctly on this?

Thank you!

Bill

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,507 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Villach Hbf-Train from Bled connection with bus to Venice

Yes, they use the same station.

Denton, TX
Level Contributor
56 posts
562 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Villach Hbf-Train from Bled connection with bus to Venice

Excellent!! Thank you.

May I ask another unrelated question? My wife and I are traveling from Vienna to Krakow in late June on train D406. We have reserved a "double" sleeping quarters. Do you know where photos /seating diagrams of such accommodations might be found?

For that matter, are seating diagrams available of any train cars in Europe?

Thanks again.

Bill

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,507 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Villach Hbf-Train from Bled connection with bus to Venice

You can try to google some information. I know that there are some websites of/for railway enthusiasts that show outside and inside images of the rolling stock of various European railway operators. There might also be some info on www.wagonweb.cz

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,635 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Villach Hbf-Train from Bled connection with bus to Venice

A couple more pictures of train configurations

railfaneurope.net/pix/…pix.html

(this particular one courtesy of GCEK)

Another one (scroll to nearly the end of the page)

http://home.no/toget/

Queensland...
Level Contributor
141 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Villach Hbf-Train from Bled connection with bus to Venice

ahhh *giftzwerg IF ONLY you were standing outside Nova Gorica station a few weeks ago :)

- there are NO signs and NO ONE knows about the bus ! Approx 6 of us were dazed with the lack of information ! A simple SIGN could be all that is needed !

Fortunately a bus appeared and with the drivers little bit of English and my desperation, we concluded it was the bus we all should jump on!

And YES, you have to buy your tickets from the corner Tabbachi shop, 100 mtrs from the Nova Gorica Station.

9. Re: Villach Hbf-Train from Bled connection with bus to Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, August 16, 2013