We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting to piber stud from graz

Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
176 reviews
Save Topic
getting to piber stud from graz

Can anyone advise the best way to get to Piber Stud from graz and the cost??

And the Hotels that are near the railway station to then travel to frankfurt.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
21,952 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting to piber stud from graz

PIber is a small village North of Köflach, where a train station is located. Trains from Graz go there on a regular basis. If you are in a good shape, then you can walk from Köflach to Piber.

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting to piber stud from graz

If you do a search for "Piber" on these forums, you'll find some more details about the public transport connections from Koeflach to the stud.

The walk from Koeflach to Piber is all uphill and about 2 km. There are buses but they run very irregularly, every few hours. I would get the train from Graz to Koeflach and then get a taxi from the station to the stud. My friend who knows the area says there isn't much in the way of a footpath for pedestrians on the country road, so I think I'd prefer to take a taxi for the last part of the journey! It would only be a 5min journey or so.

You can search timetables here (the stop for Piber is Piber Schloss)

http://www.gvb.at/home/routenplaner/index.php

The return journey from Graz-Koeflach (including the bus onto Piber if you take that) is EUR14,40 for a day ticket, I believe.

In Graz I think the Hotel Daniel and the new Ibis Graz are next to the main station.

As an alternative, there is a small Gasthof at Piber where you can stay on the actual stud. It's called Piberwirt - website http://www.piberwirt.at/ That would be cheaper than staying in Graz!

Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting to piber stud from graz

Thanks, but unable to walk any distance as l have severe arthristis, so l will possibly need to taxi it.

Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting to piber stud from graz

Thanks but cannot walk it as l have severe arthritis, so will possibly need to taxi it and thanks for the hotels

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,952 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting to piber stud from graz

Köflach is also famous for its hot springs and SPA resorts. What about a combination of Piber and a relaxing stay at the local SPA temple. That would be a treat before going to Frankfurt.

****Superior Hotel & Therme NOVA

An der Quelle 1, 8580 Köflach, Austria

Tel. +43(0)3144/70 100-0

Tel. +43(0)3144/70 100-99

E-Mail: info@novakoeflach.at

Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting to piber stud from graz

Thanks very much appreciated, will take you up on the spa stay

would you know if the taxi`s are expensive over there??

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,952 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: getting to piber stud from graz

No idea how much you would have to pay for being brought to the stud. As the distance is not that great, I would not worry about that. I have never ever been to Köflach in my life and if I had, I would not have taken a taxi.

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: getting to piber stud from graz

I don't think the taxi journey from Koeflach to Piber will be expensive - it's a very short distance, so I'd expect it to cost under EUR10.

Hope you have a great trip - I would like to make another visit there one of these days!

Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: getting to piber stud from graz

Thanks for your info very much appreciated, this is our first overseas trip and we have horses so this is the only thing that l stated l had to go to.

Have seen them perform here in australia some years ago, and it is unbelievable to watch.

Again thanks

Robyn

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
518 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: getting to piber stud from graz

We visited Graz in October last year, the main reason being we wanted to go to Piber! We caught the train to Koflach, which was actually quite a delightful journey on a little two-carriage diesel train, took about an hour to get there. We bought the 4-Zone day ticket which cost 14.40 Euro each.

Unfortunately the bus service from Koflach to Piber doesn't really tie in well at all with the train times - we would have had to wait 40 minutes to get a bus to Piber.

At the train station, we found several taxi vans parked outside - it cost us 6 Euro for the trip out to Piber, which only took a few minutes. We had a wonderful day at the stud - the foals were still with their mothers at that stage, so we got to see (and pat) the Lipizzaners at all ages from babies right up to the stud stallions. Make the most of this and taking photos of the horses as well when you're at Piber - if you go to the Spanish Riding School in Vienna, and go on the guided stable tour, you are not allowed to touch the horses or take photos of them (or anything else on the tour either), The place really is in a lovely setting, gorgeous countryside.

We walked from the stud back into Koflach, which took us around 40 minutes. There is actually a good footpath across the road from the stud that leads along the road all the way to the township - some of the footpaths in Koflach itself tended to be a bit narrow - or disappeared altogether in a couple of places (only for a very short distance), but we had no problems making the walk back.

Just a note, it would be helpful to know at least a little of the German language, if you don't already, as practically no one at the stud spoke English and we found far less English-speaking people in Graz as well, compared to other places we visited in Austria. Having said that, we managed to get by with our very limited knowledge of German! LOL

Hope you have a great time :)

Julie