We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
New Zealand
Level Contributor
127 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
3 nights in Linz? What to do?

Can any suggest some activities for 3 days in Linz or Day trips from there. Not Melk of Krems as we are moving on that way. Thanks.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,898 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 nights in Linz? What to do?

Steyr

Salzkammergut District (Bad Ischl, Hallstatt, St. Wolfgang, Gmunden)

Ceske Budejovice + Cesky Krumlov

Mauthausen (Historical site of a concentration camp)

Passau (1-1.5 hours by train)

Salzburg (1 hour by train) - in case you do not continue to Salzburg

Linz, Austria
Level Contributor
2,344 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 nights in Linz? What to do?

Museums in Linz:

http://www.lentos.at/html/en/

http://www.aec.at/news/en/

You could also take the Pöstlingbergbahn (a tram) up a mountain from where you will have a nice view over the city.

The tram starts from the main square.

http://www.linz.at/english/tourism/901.asp

New Zealand
Level Contributor
127 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 nights in Linz? What to do?

Thank you very much for these replies. We are enjoying reading and researching this area. Also we hope to visit Melk, Krems and maybe Vienna from Linz. JK

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 nights in Linz? What to do?

Will be arriving in Linz later in the afteroon (after coming from St. Florian and before that Burg Rappottenstein via Vienna). How many days should I give ourselves to see Linz? Can we get a feel for Linz that late afternoon/evening and part of the next morning or do we need to budget a full day there?

After Linz we will be driving to St. Wolfgang and seeing Hallstatt and Salzburg and then making our way over to Innsbruck.

Thank you.

5. Re: 3 nights in Linz? What to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:00 pm, May 04, 2013
Illinois City...
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 nights in Linz? What to do?

Thank you. Sounds like if we arrive later in the afternoon having a walk-around and dinner will be fine.

Awesome!

Thanks.

Linz, Austria
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 nights in Linz? What to do?

Nonsense IMHO! Linz alone is worth a visit for a few days.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
8,448 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 nights in Linz? What to do?

@lentos1,

I have been in and out of Linz for some 50 years now and lived fulltime in Linz for 6 years, but I am sorry to say that I would not know what to show visitors for a couple of days.

@TaraL328

Try to arrive at early afternoon and do a tour to the Pöstlingberg for the view. After that go for the city square and a walk through the old town. Followed by a pinte at Klosterhof in Landstraße for a night cap.

Linz, Austria
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 nights in Linz? What to do?

Sorry but you should definitely come more often. What about the Ars Electronica Center, the famous museum of the future, the Lentons Gallery, one of the most important museums of modern art in Austria, the huge castle museum, the voestalpine Stahlwelt, the steel adventure world, the beautiful botanical garden and parks, the new most modern opera house in Europe, the old town with one of the biggest city squares in Central Europe, the art mile along the river danube, the biggest (St. Mary´s Catherdral) and the oldest (St. Martin) church of Austria, the world famous St. Florian monastery just outside of Linz, the most important shopping street in Austria outside of Vienna, one of the steepest adhesion railways in the world up to the Pöstlingberg with its beautiful basilica, the grotto railway and a viewing platform over the city and a lot more.

More than enough for a few days in my opinion!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,530 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 nights in Linz? What to do?

I have the same problem trying to convince people about Brno (very similar to Linz)! Both are missed out on the way between major tourist centres, but this means that neither are spoiled by mass tourism and are more real. Linz is probably my favourite city in Austria.