We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Linz to Prague

San Diego...
Level Contributor
63 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Linz to Prague

Hi,

I need to get from Linz to Prague on August 8 with my girlfriend. We went on to the Austrian train website (oebb.at) to purchase tickets. We found a direct train (EC 100) that leaves at 16:54 when using the route planner. When clicking on "Ticket by Post," unfortunately the rest of the pages are in German to purchase a ticket. It appears the normal 2nd class price for this ticket is 35.80 Euros, but there was a 19 Euro ticket option as well (with a green clover symbol next to it). We both clicked on this separetely and began to fill out the information. While my girlfriend purchased it successfully, I got an error message at one point and had to try again, but the 19 Euro price was no longer available.

I have been trying it everyday for about a week, but the 19 Euro ticket still doesn't show up. I am guessing that this offer has expired or is no longer available, although it shows up for other days.

Any tips how I can still get this 19 Euro ticket for the same train as my girlfriend? If this is not possible, should I just wait until I get to the Linz train station to purchase the full-price ticket (35.80 Euros) or should I purchase in advance (if the train is likely to be sold out or it is more expensive at the station)?

Thanks!

Tyler

Mentioned in this post
Linz
Linz
Upper Austria, Austria
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Linz to Prague

The number of 19 Euro tickets is limited. Just as discount seats on any airplane are also limited.

You can easily buy the ticket at the Linz station.

If you don't want to wait for the EC train to Prague (at 16:54), and if you want to arrive earlier in Prague, then why not take one of the trains to Ceske Budejovice and change to the connecting train to Prague? The connecting train is held in Ceske Budejovice for the train from Linz. Also, the train to Prague leaves from the same platform, so you get off one train and only walk a few feet to the connecting train.

However, if your friend has purchased a 19 Euro ticket for the EC train, then you have locked yourselves into that train.

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Linz to Prague

Your girlfriend was lucky to get the last 19€-offer. You will have to pay the full fare of € 35,80.

There's no difference in buying online or just before departure at the train station from the ticket office. Full fare tickets are flexible and valid on any train within a time-frame of a few days or even months. Trains can never sell out and you just choose the seats you like.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,496 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Linz to Prague

Just a shot in the dark - buy a ticket from Linz to Horni Dvoriste, and then when the ticket inspector comes along in the Czech Republic buy a ticket from there to Prague - it only costs 8 Euros (plus maybe a little bit extra for the privilege of purchasing on the train).

All in all, it might even cost less that the advertised 19 Euros, and they can't (won't) chuck you off. Certainly less than 35 Euros!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
63 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Linz to Prague

CGEK --

Thanks! This worked great. Even with maybe a penalty when I purchased the Czech ticket onboard, I believe the trip cost me only around 22 Euros (versus 36 Euros).

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,496 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Linz to Prague

Phew! I have had a month and a half of no sleep, wondering whether that little ruse would work :)

I'm glad it worked out for you - there are always ways around these things. Don't let the system win!

6. Re: Train from Linz to Prague

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:21 am, October 06, 2009