We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salzburg to Hallstatt

Which Hallstatt hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
75 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Salzburg to Hallstatt

Hi,

I went to the website you suggested on mode of transport. However, I would like to come from Salzburg to Hallstatt. Is it by train or boat? If by boat, the website U given did not state from Salzburg. Could U advise how can I get from Salzburg - is it bus? How much it will cost and frequent of departures?

Im planning to visit Austria in 3rd wk Aug 06

Thanks.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,536 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salzburg to Hallstatt

The train station belonging to Hallstatt is on the other side of the lake, therefore passengers need to embark a vessel that crosses the lake regularly. This vessel runs in accordance with the ÖBB schedule. The passage is NOT free of charge, you have to pay when boarding the vessel.

A) Take the train from Salzburg Main Station to Hallstatt

Queries can be made here> http://fahrplan.oebb.at

Journey duration approx. 2h 30min

B) Walk downhill to the lake, where the boat is waiting for you

C) Enjoy the breathtaking scenery

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,536 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salzburg to Hallstatt

Regular oneway fare from Salzburg Main Station to Hallstatt:

20.40€

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
75 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salzburg to Hallstatt

Hi Mikey,

Thanks for yr detailed direction. May I ask at the ferry point where i take the vessel, is there an official point of purchase or off the agents? So when I depart from Hallstatt to Vienna as my next destination, I will return the same route (I assume). Hence for the vessel, do they sell return ticket or it is a per trip approach? How much is the vessel charge? Some accomodation replied me after i post this query, there is a bus route from Salzburg to Hallstatt. Is this true? Do u know the bus rate & journey timing as well?

Many Thanks.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,536 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salzburg to Hallstatt

Fare Train Station <> Hallstatt 2€/leg

I don't think that there is a booth selling tickets. Just board the vessel, and keep 2€ available. It is very easy! Same when returning -save a 2€ coin, and it's gonna be a breeze! Everything will be organized like in Singapore! The vessel needs approx. 10 minutes to cross the lake. You will love the scenery!

There is a bus connection via "Bad Ischl" available. You need to transfer at least once. I recommend to take the train, because it's spacier - you can walk around. That's probably helpful when taking pictures. In my opinion it is a must to arrive there by train. You may consider taking the bus on your return.

Bus schedule

www.postbus.at

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,536 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salzburg to Hallstatt

Both options take you at least 2h 30min to get there. Your onward journey to Vienna should be done by using the train, because buses are more regional. The bus would only feed you to a train station.

One train even goes to Vienna directly, but is not faster than connections with transfers. So disregard and take the best one!

Find a suitable connection by using the online timetable:

http://fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/query.exe/en

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,536 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salzburg to Hallstatt

Bus fares cannot be queried online, but I assume that they will be very similar to those of ÖBB (=Austrian railways), because the bus company is in possession of ÖBB.

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Salzburg to Hallstatt

The fares are:

Bus Salzburg-Bad Ischl and Train Bad Ischl-Hallstatt € 11,40

Train Salzburg-Attnang Puchheim-Hallstatt

1 adult € 20,40

2 adults € 37,70

3 adults € 51,00

The ship from Hallstatt railway station to the village is € 2.

So the bus will be much cheaper as it's more direct, except if you are a large group.

The bus driver can sell you thru tickets, just tell him "Hallstatt"...

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
75 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Salzburg to Hallstatt

Thanks guys for your detailed info. I will definitely get the vessel then. Since I had flown more than 15hrs from Asia, why not a 10mins ferry with the minor transfer required!?!

I will be doing more reading next few days on places of interests in Austria to visit. If I have more queries, I will ask the local experts again.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,536 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Salzburg to Hallstatt

Feel free to ask whatever you wanna know!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
75 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Salzburg to Hallstatt

Hi,

I had done some readings & would like to ask you for advise. If I have one day in Salzburg only, I intend to cover the following: Salzburg Fortress, Hellbrunn Castle, Eisriesenwelt, Steingasse plus a flea mkt. Do you think to cover these key places of interest 1 full day is sufficient?

There are 4 flea markets listed namely (Residentplatz market, Domplatz market, Grunmarket & Christkind market). Can I say if I visit one flea market is the same as the others? If which one would you recommend?

Saw another topic that St Wolfgang is much better than Hallstatt for lake scenaries view. However when I go to search on the website? I could not find mych St Wolfgang info esp pictures for me to compare which one should I go? Im more prone to lake vs mountain ski though. What would you recommend?