We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from St. Wolfgang to Hallstatt

Which Hallstatt hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
110 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Bus from St. Wolfgang to Hallstatt

Is there a bus from St Wolfgang to Hallstatt. Alternatively is there a connecting bus service form one of the other towns such as St. Gilgen.? Would like to go there in August and go on the boat cruise on the Lake.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Bus from St. Wolfgang to Hallstatt

nakagoli

Super Markets and some other shops in popular locations are now starting to open on Sunday mornings in July and August.

Hopefully this will not catch on as I like the peace and quiet in Austria on a Sunday. :-)

Johor Bahru...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Bus from St. Wolfgang to Hallstatt

Hi, i am planning a trip in mid Oct in opposite way - hallstatt to st. wolfgang. I prefer to go for more scenic route.

I may choose to take ferry from Hallstatt to Bad Ischl. If I am interested in WolfgangseeSchifffahrt, is it corrrect that i should take bus from Bad Ischl to St. Gilgen in order to take the boat? Is there any problem if i have luggage with me?

Also, I would like to take lunch somewhere in Bad Ischl/St gilgen, is there any nice restaurant (preferably not too expensive) recommend?

Thanks for any advice =)

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,935 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Bus from St. Wolfgang to Hallstatt

you might have some problems! there is no ferry from hallstatt to bad ischl! you either get a bus with a change, or ferry across the hallstatt lake to the station, and get a train. once in bad ischl, you can get a bus to strobl, (bit of a walk to ferry) , or to st gilgen. but there is also a different bus from bad ischl to st wolfgang.

no problem with luggage other than you will have to cary it with you.

not sure of restaurants in bad ischl, but there most restaurants in the area are good. a nice on in st gilgen is "kindler", in the centre. but watch out....restaurants take a day off each week

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
110 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Bus from St. Wolfgang to Hallstatt

Just to thank those who gave advice this Summer. I went to st Wolfgang though never made it to Hallstatt. To omuch to see in 3 short days. Anyone travelling to St Wolfgang should check where their hotel is so they can get off either in the very centre of town. That stop is just after the bus emerges from a short tunnel. I miseed the stop and the next stop is 150 metres plus almost at the Cog Railway. It was a long walk back to our hotel. There is one small mini market for food and drink in the town and it supplies almost everything. I couldn't find "the Supermarket'.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,935 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Bus from St. Wolfgang to Hallstatt

glad you enjoyed your visit to one of the nicest places in Austria! and thanks for coming back and giving feedback!

you should just have stayed on the bus back to the stop you wanted, it turns around just after the railway. normally if you mention your hotel to the driver, he will call out when the bus reaches your stop.

the adeg store is small but is classed as a supermarket. the next nearest large supermarket is at the outskirts of strol. but adeg should have had everything you needed, AND it stays open on sundays.

Johor Bahru...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Bus from St. Wolfgang to Hallstatt

Hi Casyjones, thanks for the reminder, will take note if i taking bus :)

Hi Nakagoli, thanks for the correction, will take train from hallsatt to bad ischl. =)

Btw, "kindler" is the restaurant name?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,935 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Bus from St. Wolfgang to Hallstatt

sorry. the correct name is "kendler" . that is what I wrote but autocorrect amended it without me noticing. it is behind the rathaus (townhall)

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Bus from St. Wolfgang to Hallstatt

Pan P

You can get either the 150 bus or 546 bus from Bad Ischl to Strobl. You would have a bit of a walk from the bus station to the ferry station.

Or catch the 546 from Bad Ischl to St Wolfgang.

Or catch the 150 from Bad Ischl to St Gilgen and then boat to St Wolfgang.

What kind of food do you like?

Johor Bahru...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Bus from St. Wolfgang to Hallstatt

Thanks, nakagoli!

Hi staff, I would like to try austrian food :)

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Bus from St. Wolfgang to Hallstatt

A few ideas for dining out. They all do Austrian dishes.

St Gilgen

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g608664-…

Strobl

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g939839-d1584…

Bad Ischl

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g664937-…

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g664937-…

Bad Ischl also has Italian, Greek, Mexican, Chinese restaurants.

Edited: 2:57 pm, September 22, 2013