We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking in Hallstatt or Obertraun

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Hiking in Hallstatt or Obertraun

Hello,

I have a day to spent at Hallstatt and i would like to do some hiking with my family at the same time. Should I get first to Obertraun and go up to the Five fingers and spent a few hours hiking from that point (before visiting Hallstatt)? Or should I instead go directly to Hallstatt and take a cable car there (I am not sure there is one) and do my hiking there? I am not sure which poit would offer the nicer views while doing some easy to intermediary hiking. First time in Austria (from Quebec), whoever can help with the decision will have my whole family gratitude. Yves Peloquin

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hiking in Hallstatt or Obertraun

nakagoli

You have looked at the times the boat leaves the village.

They need the time the boat leaves the railway station going back to the village.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
18,120 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hiking in Hallstatt or Obertraun

oops. I gave you the times for going TO the station! good job that I was not relying on that timetable!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Hiking in Hallstatt or Obertraun

Hello,

I intend to follow the pipeline trail from Hallstatt to Steeg Gosau. But I would also like to see the view from the top of the Funicular. (I don't intend to visit the mine).

Do you think it is possible to take the Funicular to go up and after enjoying the view for a while, walk until my path merge with the pipeline trail? I would't have to go down with the funicular. Is there such a path from the top?

Leaving in two days and counting the minutes.

Yves

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Hiking in Hallstatt or Obertraun

Yes the official start of the brine pipeline walk (40km) starts at the funicular. You are only doing the first part of course. :-)

Before you start pop into the Tourist office. It's moved into a new wooden clad building on the lakeside on the edge of the village. Opposite where you have to walk to get to the funicular. (In the same building as the bank)

Just ask them if the walk is open. Sometimes it's closed due to landslides. If you are really unlucky and it's closed. You could cross the lake on the ferry to the railway station and walk to Steeg Gosau down that side of the lake.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Hiking in Hallstatt or Obertraun

I am not sure you are answering me. The brine pipeline start at the base of the funicular and you don't have to take the funicular to walk that trail (my understanding). So my question is: if I want to take the funicular up to enjoy the view at the top, will I be forced to take the funicular down before starting my hike on the brine pipeline?

Thanks for your info. Yves

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Hiking in Hallstatt or Obertraun

The official start of the brine pipeline walk (40km) starts at the top of the funicular.

But if you don't want to go up the funicular there is a path to the right of the funicular that joins the pipeline walk.

hallstatt.net/about-hallstatt/…

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Hiking in Hallstatt or Obertraun

Thanks you. I was under the impression that you could access the pipeline trail from the base of the funicular only.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Hiking in Hallstatt or Obertraun

The TripWow video looks amazing -- We are visiting the Hallstatt area in May and are hoping to do a lot of hiking. Are most hikes in the area accessible at that time of the year without snow?

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Hiking in Hallstatt or Obertraun

Hi

By May snow will have gone at lake level. There could still be snow if you take the cable cars up at Obertraun to the 5 fingers. You will have no problems hiking around the lakes or down in the valleys, May is a great time for walking. Not too hot, not too cold, spring flowers and very green. Rivers in full flow with the snow melt.

Even today in December it's possible to walk around the lakes as the first snows of the Winter have melted at low altitude. Which is what I will doing this week. :-)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Hiking in Hallstatt or Obertraun

Thank you for the great information! Since you sound like an expert, I have a few more questions for you… :)

Do you know if the attractions below will likely be accessible/open by May 15?

- Hallstatt Funicular and Salt Tours

- Five Fingers viewpoint and the Dachstein Ice Caves and Mammoth Caves

- Near Salzburg… the St. Gilgen cable car up to the Zwölferhorn and the trails on Mount Schober or Mount Filbling?

Thank you so much for your expertise!

Heather