We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hallstatt - stay one night or two?

Hong Kong, China
3 posts
Save Topic
Hallstatt - stay one night or two?

I am planning the trip to Prague and Austria in Austria. Never been there before and very looking forward to it. Below is my preliminary plan:

Arrive Prague - 4 nights

Train to Vienna - pick up car and drive to Durnstein

Durnstein - 1 night

Hallstatt - 1 night

Salzburg - 4 nights, return car on last day

Train to Munich on the last day by train, flight in late afternoon

We don't have much time and want to see more the lake and natural beauty. We went to south of France last year and loved the view there. So we are not planning to stay in Vienna. not sure if right or not.

Read some review and know that Hallstatt is a "must see". I am not sure if we should stay just one night or two. If two nights, we may probably stay just 3 nights in Salzburg. we plan to go grossglockner road and Heiligenblut for day trip.

I wish I have longer holiday. Love to hear your advice.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,915 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hallstatt - stay one night or two?

If you are not interested in Vienna, then I would not go there. Instead I'd go to Linz (by bus - www.westbus.at/en) and pick up your rental car there. Dürnstein is a lovely place but you should consider that you can see everything in two hours. Dürnstein can aslo be reached from Linz.

Hallstatt is similar to Dürnstein in terms of size and number of sights. You can explore Hallstatt in 2-3 hours, if you also intend visiting the salt mine add 2 hours. Hallstatt's gorgeousness (also) results from its location in a very picturesque landscape.

So Hallstatt itself does not need too much time, but you can visit other places from there such as Dachstein Mountain (ice caves, outlook). Use the search function of the forum and look for "Salzkammergut". Salzburg itself can be seen in one day.

Edited: 2:34 pm, April 05, 2013
Hong Kong, China
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hallstatt - stay one night or two?

Thank you for the advise. This is helpful. In that case, would you advise pick up the car in Phague, drive to Český Krumlov, then drive to Linz. May be stay a night in Český Krumlov?

Vienna
Level Contributor
4,953 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hallstatt - stay one night or two?

Cesky Krumlov is nice for a stop of a couple of hours. It is a small town - it depends what you want. Are you sure you want to miss Vienna ? Looks like you prefer country side and small towns ?

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,915 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hallstatt - stay one night or two?

Renting a car in the Czech Republic and returning it in Austria or Germany could be expensive as an international oneway drop off fee might be levied. On the other side you could continue to Dürnstein directly from Cesky Krumlov driving through the Austrian "forest district" ("Waldviertel").

In any case familiarize yourself with the driving rules in Austria, also be informed that you need a toll sticker for the use of Austrian expressways (roads with abbreviation A and S). A Czech rental car won't have that sticker!

Hong Kong, China
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hallstatt - stay one night or two?

Is 4 nights in Prague too much? should I take one night out and stay somewhere else? may be somewhere between Salzburg and Munch?

Edited: 7:57 am, April 09, 2013
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hallstatt - stay one night or two?

Four nights in Prague is just about right, considering that the first day will be pretty much shot, because it is your day of arrival. I agree with Mickley_Vienna about the advisability of renting a car in Prague and dropping it off in Austria or Germany.

You might look into takeing the train to Cesky Krumlov. We stayed there two nights, and were glad we did. The castle is well worth visiting, then poking along the river, which surrounds the city is fun.

We drove there and to Prague, coming from Southern Bavaria and returning to Germany. But there is a bus from C.K to Linz, where you could pick up a rental car.

I definitely recommend driving the 125km along the Danube from L<inz on the Route 3 to Duernstein, spend no more than one night there and return to Linz via Melk, on the Autobahn A-3. The whole trip would be about 250km, an easy day trip

From Linz to Hallstadt I would get off the A-1 at Seewalchen (Exit #234), drive along the Attersee and Wolfgangsee to Bad Ischl and on to Hallstatt. This way you will see three of the lakes that make up the Salzkammergut (Salzburg Lake District). Again, follow Mickey's advise on how long to stay in H.

7. Re: Hallstatt - stay one night or two?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 11, 2014