We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking in December - solo traveller

Which Hallstatt hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
Walking in December - solo traveller

Hi there,

I'm planning a daytrip to Hallstatt in early December this year. Are there any safe walking trails for a barely-experienced solo traveller that are worth doing? If snow is forecast is it safest not to go? I'm not looking for anything in the mountains - just a hour or so along the lake or something. I've had a look on the Hallstatt website, but can't find any specific advice - so any tips (or alternative spots around the Salzburg area would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking in December - solo traveller

Popular walking areas have what is called "Winter Wanderweg"

They're just walking trails completely flattened down which you can walk along in a normal pair of comfortable boots - not special walking boots just normal winter wear - e.g. "panama jack" type if you wish.

Often found in ski resorts around/near the village. In some ski areas they even have them on the mountains themselves - all mostly flat.

hallstatt.net/about-hallstatt/…

You will see from above different types of "hiking" - note the couple halfway down on a completey cleared path and under "winter dream" at the bottom specially refers to walking from Hallstatt along the stream.

You could of course join a local "snowshoe" day out.

hallstatt.net/about-hallstatt/…

Edited: 6:25 am, November 22, 2012
Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking in December - solo traveller

I would never ever go walking on my own especially in the winter.

If you do decide to go walking on your own tell somebody where you are going and let them know when you get back.

3. Re: Walking in December - solo traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, December 16, 2013