We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Ferry from Hallstatt Train St to Hallstatt closed?

Singapore
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Topic
Is the Ferry from Hallstatt Train St to Hallstatt closed?

hallstattschifffahrt.at/english/…index.html

Hello. I am referring to the above website, which states that -

"Our Vessel " Stefanie" goes 365 Days in the year

Only between 8.10.2012 -28.10.2012 is the ferry closed, because the train is also closed

The "Stefanie" drives daily between Hallstatt market and the railway station and to the East-shore - footpath.

Particularly for cyclists, it is an unique experience to come per ship to the end of our trip!

The train is closed between

8.10.2012 and 28.10.2012 and also the ship from/to the trainstation."

(1) From my research, it was indicated by posters that the best view of Hallstatt would be to take the ferry from Hallstatt train station to Hallstatt Market ferry stop. May I ask which is the Hallstatt train station? On google maps, is it a station next to the "ATO Hallstatt Bahnhst" ferry stop (nearest and directly oppoiste the Hallstatt Market ferry stop?

(2) Would anyone know which train station or ferry route is referred to by the ferry website's announcement? Or does it mean that the entire ferry service shuts down from 8 to 28 October 2012?

(3) What other ways can I then get to Hallstatt? I would be travelling from Berchtesgaden, and initially planned my route to be: bus #840 to Salzburg, then change to bus #150 to Bad Ischl, then train to Hallstatt railway station for ferry over to Hallstatt Market.

Would greatly appreciate advice on the above. Thanks !

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,200 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the Ferry from Hallstatt Train St to Hallstatt closed?

The train line seems to be discontinued for construction works then. In order to get to Hallstatt you need to take the bus as stated on the ÖBB website. When you query a connection you'll then see the replacement service. The location of the train station and the respective landing point of the ferry is here: http://goo.gl/maps/5NPBu

I suppose that all other services will be carried out according to schedule.

Singapore
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the Ferry from Hallstatt Train St to Hallstatt closed?

Thanks, Mikey_Vienna.

If it is only the ferry pick-up point next to the Hallstatt Bahnhst that is closed, I am wondering if I can take the ferry from other ferry / train points. For example, from Untersee or Obertraun?

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the Ferry from Hallstatt Train St to Hallstatt closed?

It's because new signalling work is being carried out.

The platform is being dug up. They are doing the work out of season.

You get a train from Bad Ischl to Bad Goisern then switch to a special bus (SV170) to Hallstatt.

Or you can get the regular two bus service 542 & 543.

542 heads to Gosausee and you change bus to the 543 at Hallstatt Gosaumühle. Buy ticket for final destination.

Singapore
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the Ferry from Hallstatt Train St to Hallstatt closed?

Thanks, staff025 :)

Would anyone know if there are still boat tours available once I am in Hallstatt?

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the Ferry from Hallstatt Train St to Hallstatt closed?

I think they are summer only.

Up to end of September.

Singapore
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the Ferry from Hallstatt Train St to Hallstatt closed?

Thanks, staff025, for the clarification.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the Ferry from Hallstatt Train St to Hallstatt closed?

We did the special ferry tour yesterday. It leaves at 2PM from the main terminal, and stops at the bus parking point and Oberaum. Cost was around 17 euro each. Train stopped running this morning but a special bus with plenty of luggage space ferries people between Hallstatt and Bad G.

Singapore
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the Ferry from Hallstatt Train St to Hallstatt closed?

Hello, Westendgaz, thanks for informing of your experience :)

Was your ferry tour from Hallstatt itself or from other towns along the lake? Hopefully (fingers crossed) there will still be some ferry tour available when I get there on 16 & 17 October. But I am keeping my expectations in check (to avoid disappointment)

Also, may I ask whether the special bus between Bad G and Hallstatt is complementary, or charges a fee?

Thanks again :)

9. Re: Is the Ferry from Hallstatt Train St to Hallstatt closed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, December 14, 2013