We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any locker in Hallstatt station?

Which Hallstatt hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong
3 posts
Save Topic
Any locker in Hallstatt station?

On my way to Salzburg from Vienna, I am planning to stay in Hallstatt for 1 night. Any advice if Hallstatt station has lockers for large luggage? If no lockers are avaialble, I may have to travel to Salzburg first to store the luggage and then go to Hallstatt. This will cost me 2 more hours of travel.

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any locker in Hallstatt station?

No lockers in Hallstatt station, unfortunately - it is little more than a siding on the line. However, there are coin-operated luggage lockers in Bad Ischl so you can leave luggage there for up to 24 hours.

One way to do it would be to take the bus from Salzburg to Bad Ischl station (Bus 150, leaves hourly outside the Salzburg Hauptbahnhof at about 10 mins past the hour, journey takes just under 2 hrs - similar to the train) and deposit your luggage in the lockers at Bad Ischl station, and then catch the direct train from Bad Ischl to Hallstatt.

Coming back, you would have to get off the train at Bad Ischl, collect your luggage, and then catch the next train from Bad Ischl to Attnang Pucheim or Wels to connect to the Vienna main line (the trains don't stop long enough at Bad Ischl, I fear, for you to rush in and grab your cases before the train leaves). But probably that is easier (and definitely it is cheaper) than making a detour back to Salzburg again.

I don't know if the ticket you would buy to travel Hallstatt-Vienna would allow you to break your journey at Bad Ischl. But you could always buy a ticket for Hallstatt-Bad Ischl and then another one for Bad Ischl-Vienna.

This website has information in German about station luggage lockers, including a list of stations with the facility.

oebb.at/vip8/…index.jsp

rol

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any locker in Hallstatt station?

Oops, I see I misread your post and you are travelling Vienna-Hallstatt-Salzburg, not the other way round! However, you can still use the route I suggested, in reverse - train Vienna to Bad Ischl and dump your bags, train Bad Ischl to Hallstatt, and then the next day train Hallstatt to Bad Ischl, collect your bags, and take the bus 150 from Bad Ischl to Salzburg (leaves about 20 minutes past the hour, departs hourly).

I do recommend the bus for the Bad Ischl-Salzburg journey rather than the train - I do this trip quite often and I find it faster and more convenient to take the bus from Bad Ischl direct to Salzburg than the train where you have to change trains at Attnang Puccheim or Wels. The bus route, which takes you through Bad Ischl and past the Wolfgangsee and Fuschlsee is very picturesque too (best views sitting on the right hand side of the bus).

rol

Hong Kong
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Any locker in Hallstatt station?

Tthanks so much for the comprehensive information. It sounds interesting to take bus as an alternative. Is the bus route a different one from the train's? Does the bus accept large luggage?

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any locker in Hallstatt station?

Yes, the route is different - the bus goes more or less in a straight line from Bad Ischl west to Salzburg, skirting some of the Salzkammergut lakes along the way. The train from Bad Ischl goes north to Attnang Puccheim where you change onto the Vienna-Salzburg express, which heads south west, round the edge of the mountains, to Salzburg. The train is fine, of course, but the bus route is very pretty in summer.

I also think the bus is easier if you have big suitcases. It is actually a "coach" (in British parlance) and there is a hold underneath where you can load your cases before boarding (just open one of the doors along the side of the bus and shove your bag in - the driver will usually help anyone who asks for it). You can take "handluggage" style bags on board the bus with you - there are small overhead racks inside for smaller bags too.

Getting on and off the train (up three steps through a narrow doorway) is awkward with luggage, and then finding a place to stow your bags on the train can be tricky - there are good overhead racks, but you have to be strong to lift big items up there. Open carriages "Grossraumwagen" are best for luggage as there is room between the seats to stow cases on the floor.

I usually travel alone so I prefer to take the bus, since it's easier to manage my luggage that way.

Hope that helps

rol

Hong Kong
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any locker in Hallstatt station?

I always think that train is the most convenient and comfortable means of transport in Europe. But if travelling time is comparable, I will try bus this time. Thanks indeed for the info!

singapore
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Any locker in Hallstatt station?

Hi,

Sorry for interrupting. I am also travelling to Hallstatt for 1 day, using a rail pass. So it would be better for me to take the train right since i paid ? And for only 1 day, can i still either visit the salt mine or ice cave?

singapore
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Any locker in Hallstatt station?

Sorry another question i motice for train it only stops at Attnang-Puchheim, can i deposit my luggage there?

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any locker in Hallstatt station?

Yes, if you have a rail pass valid for Austria it should cover the journey by train to Hallstatt so that will save you money over taking the bus. There are luggage lockers at Attnang Puchheim. The salt mine is above Hallstatt and can be reached by cable car from Lahn which is about 10 mins easy walk along the lake shore from Hallstatt village. You could combine a trip to Hallstatt village and the saltmine in one day, I think. I have not visited the ice caves so don't know how long that takes, but don't know if you could do it as well as Hallstatt in one day, since the cablecar to the caves leaves from Obertraun rather than Hallstatt village. Obertraun is on the southeastern edge of the lake, Hallstatt village is on the west shore (the Hallstatt trainstation is on the east shore). If you want to see the ice caves especially you can take the train to Obertraun which is the next stop after Hallstatt station. If you time it right you might be able to get a ferry from Obertraun back to Hallstatt village later in the day to look around, but the ferries between the two only run every hour or so.

Personally I would rather spend a daytrip visiting Hallstatt village and taking the trip to the Salt mine so as not to try to fit too much into one day. There are wonderful views over the lake from the terrace of the Rudolfsturm gasthaus, at the top of the cablecar station on your way up to the salt mine (after you get off the cable car you have about 15 mins walk to the mine itself). Be sure to have an ice cream in Derbls on the Hallstatt village square - they're amazing!

singapore
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Any locker in Hallstatt station?

Thank you very much Roley!!!! You are really great! Yeah, I wouldn;t want to skip Hallstatt village too, fall in love with it when I saw the picture. Can't wait to go Hallstatt now ..

singapore
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Any locker in Hallstatt station?

Sorry Roley,

Just one more question, do I need to reserve train ticket for 1. munich-salzburg

2. salzburg - hallstatt

3. hallstatt-vienna

4. vienna-prague

As it's the euro cup period in vienna and salzburg.

Thank you