We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melk train station

Gosford, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Melk train station

I am planning to visit Melk in December en route by train from Vienna to Salzburg. As we will have all our luggage with us, does anyone know if you can leave luggage at Melk train station while seeing the Abbey? Also, is it far from the station to the Abbey? what is the best way of getting there?

Thanks!

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melk train station

The melk train station has a series of various sized self service lockers- you need euro coins for activation cost.

The Abbey is about 15 minutes walk - first slightly downhill through a residential area - then uphill to the Abbey.

I doubt in december any taxis are about by the station - the station, a small place just on the south side of the town. The northern border of the town is the Danube.

for more information on the Abbey

and opening times

www.stiftmelk.at

The Abbey well worth the visit any time of year. Dress warmly as it can be very cold inside.

I assume you already have train information

www.oebb.at

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melk train station

The very pleasant village of Melk will be very silent during winter... but I'm sure some Konditorei-Café (cakes&coffee) will be open.

The walk from the station up to the Abbey is quite steap but short and will also take you thru the center of the village.

Plenty of lockers can be found at the station. They work like that (and have also instructions in English on the display): you put in your luggage, close the compartment, then throw in the shown amount and you get a small ticket like in a parking lot.

When you come back just put your ticket into the machine and the compartment will open. Maximum rental is 24 hours.

Cost is € 2 for the small, € 2,50 for the medium and € 3,50 for the jumbo lockers.

Gosford, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Melk train station

Thanks very much vertical and RobbiAustria for your replies to my post. You have given me some very useful information - greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

4. Re: Melk train station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:27 am, September 29, 2009