We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bratislava - Melk - Durnstein - Kerns - Vienna airport

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
105 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
Bratislava - Melk - Durnstein - Kerns - Vienna airport

Maybe it’s a wishful thinking, but I would like to run this itinerary with massive transportation, starting from Bratislava a Tuesday afternoon in July at about 17:00 and getting back to the airport on 15:00 next day.

The initial thought is to travel from Bratislava to Vienna Hbf, and then to take a train to Melk. Stay overnight there as it appears that the hotel rates are better than the rest locations, and have a sightseeing tour till it gets dark. Next morning wake up early enough, do the rest of Melk, and jump to a train, boat or bus (boat sounds the preferable choice to enjoy the area), to Durnstein. Walk around there, till I catch up a train/boat/bus again to Kerm. Stay again there for sightseeing, and then get a train/boat/bus again to Vienna Hbf, or preferable directly to the airport.

I would appreciate your advice how to effectively use massive transportation for this short trip, and the amount of time to budget for each of the 3 villages (if you also recommend additional details on what to see in each of them, it would be perfect)

Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Bratislava
Bratislava
Bratislava Region, Slovakia
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
25,693 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bratislava - Melk - Durnstein - Kerns - Vienna airport

You can query connections here: https://anachb.vor.at/bin/query.exe/en…

Taking into account that you would arrive in Melk not before 20:00 hrs. I would probably spend the night in Vienna (instead of Melk) and go to Melk the next morning.

In the vicinity of Hauptbahnhof Station a few new hotels opened, which offer reasonably priced nightly rates for Vienna, for instance Motel One Wien Hauptbahnhof, Star Inn Hotel Premium Wien or Hotel Schani Wien.

You could leave your bags at the train station and collect them on your way to the airport.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Hotel Schani Wien
Hotel Schani Wien
830 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
105 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bratislava - Melk - Durnstein - Kerns - Vienna airport

Thanks Michael

But If I do that and stay overnight in Vienna, is it doable to go around Melk-Durnsten and potentially Kerns from early morning till 14:00?

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
25,693 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bratislava - Melk - Durnstein - Kerns - Vienna airport

If you leave Vienna in the early morning, and if you take the bus between Melk and Dürnstein/Krems (instead of the tour ship), then it is feasible. It's nonetheless a rushed sidetrip in my opinion.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
4. Re: Bratislava - Melk - Durnstein - Kerns - Vienna airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, June 29, 2018