We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melk in the winter - travel to Krems?

9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Melk in the winter - travel to Krems?

My friend and I are traveling to Melk at the end of January. We are going to take a tour of the Abbey around 11 but I was wondering if it was worth it to try to explore down the river. I was originally planning on traveling to Austria in the summer when the boats were running. Any suggestions? Is it feasible to bike? Or just move on to Vienna after the tour?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Mentioned in this post
Austria
Austria
Europe
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Melk Abbey and Danube Valley Day Trip...
1,178 Reviews
from $94.20*
Free Cancellation
Private Sightseeing Trip from Vienna...
from $417.40*
Free Cancellation
Private Tour: Wachau Valley Tour...
21 Reviews
from $134.80*
6 replies to this topic
Vienna
Level Contributor
6,105 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melk in the winter - travel to Krems?

In January it can be freezing cold or windy and Wachau valley is still nice but pretty empty and most places closed. On a nice day you can go to Duernstein and have a look.

Mentioned in this post
Wachau Valley
Wachau Valley
371 Reviews
Joching, Austria
Vienna
Level Contributor
3,600 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Melk in the winter - travel to Krems?

Hello Nicole,

If you are going to Melk I would take my time to explore the Wachau area – www.wachau.com – heritage of the world (between Melk and Krems).

In winter is also very nice, although there are no boat trips (only up to middle of April) and too cold tp ride a bycicle.

If it is possible you could visit the abbey earlier so you have more time.

The bus WL1 is taking you from Melk to Krems – check bus connections at the PDF - donau.com/de/…busverbindungen-in-der-wachau - Depending on how much time do you have Dürnstein (town with the blue church) and Krems are a must (Krems is the biggest town – and from here you have a train back to Vienna), and also very nice are Spitz and Weissenkirchen.

Concerning where to take lunch, the best is to ask at the local tourist office which places will be open in those places.

Best regards

Beatriz

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
25,693 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melk in the winter - travel to Krems?

If you go to Melk to see the abbey, I would definitely visit the Wachau too. It is true that this region is nicer during the warmer period, but if you are close to it in winter, then I would not skip it. Biking though is nothing I would consider in winter.

So take the bus as suggested by austriatourism and definitely make a stop in Dürnstein, also do not skip Krems (except if you go on a Sunday) if you have some time left. Should you want to do that deboard the bus already at Stadtpark and enter the town through the "Steiner" Gate. From Krems you can take the train back to Vienna (arrival station: Franz Josefs Train Station in Alsergrund).

Edited: 5:52 am, January 01, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Stadtpark
Stadtpark
1,222 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Melk in the winter - travel to Krems?

Update from my trip.

Melk abbey was beautiful! I don't think it would matter what time of year you go, it was worth the visit!

Durnstein unfortunately was completed closed down by the time we got there in the afternoon. We did not see a single shop or restaurant open and only saw probably one person as we walked through the town. I am sure it is a beautiful place to visit in the summer but with nothing open it was hard to really get a feel for the town. The bus drive was beautiful through the area. I am not sure I would recommend stopping at Durnstein. It looked like one or two main shops are open in the morning only.

Mentioned in this post
Melk Abbey
Melk Abbey
2,309 Reviews
Melk, Austria
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
621 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melk in the winter - travel to Krems?

Would the day ticket including admission to the abbey still be on sale during the winter if the boats are not running? Or these are all separate tickets : Vienna - Melk train, Melk - Krems bus, Krems - Vienna train?

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Melk in the winter - travel to Krems?

I don't think the day tickets are on sale during the winter. At least I did not come across them. We bought tickets to the abbey and bus tickets separately.

Reply to: Melk in the winter - travel to Krems?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted