We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where's a good place to taste sturm?

Sf Bay Area
Level Contributor
474 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Where's a good place to taste sturm?

Will be in Wachau in September. Any good suggestions for visiting vineyards, sample some sturm, or do wine tasting? We will be traveling by train/ship only, so we prefer something that we can walk to.

2 replies to this topic
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
654 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where's a good place to taste sturm?

For the Wachau, Vertical--the true expert--should be replying soon. If you're in Vienna there may be a fall festival in front of the Hoffburg...that might be in late August, that has many booths with vintners supplying their own for everyone to sample. I think it is called Erntedankfest, but one of the experts will correct me if I am wrong. Good stuff, don't over-indulge.

Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where's a good place to taste sturm?

See the nessage on this forum regarding Sturm.

It is usually found beginning at the end of August.

Due to hot , dry weather this year, the time may vary.

Most heurigers , etc. will have Sturm. These easy to find as most will have a banner advertising the fact of Sturm being available.

In Durnstein places like Alte Presshaus, Alte Klosterkeller, Weingut Bohmer will for sure have it.

In Vienna, you will find many places with banners in windows advertising Sturm.

The season for this is relatively short.

Bottles will not have normal caps as this drink continues to ferment and pressure will build up quickly unless allowed to escape.

Note- the cloudy drink can be very powerful. The fine fruity taste conceals the sometimes relatively high alcohol content.

Drinkly more than 1-3 glasses can cause some intestional distress in some - excessive consumption casn cause visits to the closest bathroom.

Note Sturm can come in red or white.

Reply to: Where's a good place to taste sturm?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted